On October 23rd Black Tabby Games released their newest title Slay the Princess on Steam and GoG for a regular price of $17.99. The titular princess is a threat to the world and it is your job to slay her… or so the narrator claims. In this horror visual novel nothing is as straightforward as it seems and it is up to you to decide whom to put your trust in …
Black Tabby Games immediately made a name for themselves with their debut work Scarlet Hollow, a horror visual novel with an episodic release format. Following its older sibling’s footsteps, Slay the Princess drew a lot of attention from critics at PAX 2023. So far launch reviews are excellent and the 10/10’s don’t seem to cease!
If you’re intrigued – watch the launch trailer and play the free demo!
You’re on a path in the woods. And at the end of that path is a cabin. And in the basement of that cabin is a Princess. You’re here to slay her. If you don’t, it will be the end of the world. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Slay the Princess is a fully-voiced, cheeky horror tragicomedy. In this roleplaying game, the player is tasked by a mysterious voice to kill a princess who has been imprisoned in a cabin hidden deep in the woods. The voice alleges that if the player doesn’t fulfill their task the princess will bring about the end of the world. But can the voice be trusted? Can the Princess be trusted? Can anyone be trusted? Over the course of their journey, the player will die. A lot. And every time they die, the game starts over, only things are a little different. The cabin is different, the Princess is different, even the voices in the player’s head are different. And everyone, except for the narrator, remembers everything that’s happened. At its core, Slay the Princess is a game about choice and the way our perceptions shape the world around us. Who the player chooses to believe and how they react to new information shifts the direction of the story in dramatic ways, including changing the Princess herself. The next time you see her, will she be an ordinary princess, or will she be a towering, 10-foot-tall demon? Or, will she be something straight out of your nightmares?
- A princess. She’s very bad and you have to get rid of her for all our sakes.
- No, the Princess isn’t a cosmic horror. She’s just an ordinary human Princess, and you can definitely slay her as long as you put your mind to it.
- Don’t even think about trying to romance her. It won’t end well for you.
- Hopefully you won’t die. But if you do, you’ll die a lot. Be careful and stay focused on the task at hand!
- Time loops? No time loops. Don’t be ridiculous. Time is a strictly linear concept and it certainly doesn’t “loop,” whatever that’s supposed to mean.
- A branching narrative where what you say and what you believe determines both your build and how the story unfolds.
- A new roleplaying experience from the creators of Scarlet Hollow.
- Fully voice-acted by the impeccable Jonathan Sims and Nichole Goodnight.