On September 12th, Mary Skelter returned into the spotlight of Idea Factorys’ coveted products. The ride coming from Mary Skelter 2 had been bumpy, but now it’s coming with a definitive version of Mary Skelter Finale with all the DLCs on PC. And this is the grand finale and closure of the Mary Skelter trilogy.
Mary Skelter Finale (jp. Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale) is the last part of the Mary Skelter franchise by COMPILE HEART and Idea Factory Co., Ltd. and was already available for Nintendo Switch and PS4 since the 30th of September 2021, but now also made its way onto the PC. This game supports Japanese and English voiceover as well as English, Japanese and Chinese subtitles. The price for this game is $39.99 and $49.99 for the Deluxe Edition.
Get it on Steam now!
The final installment of the dungeon RPG trilogy comes to its astonishing end - will the Blood Maidens finally get their happily ever after? Jail: a living prison for humans, buried 666 meters underground. It appeared suddenly several decades ago, giving rise to monsters called Marchen and patrolled by madness-inducing Nightmares. One group of prisoners, Jack and the Blood Maidens, were fairy tale reincarnations who dared to escape. They climbed from the bottom of the tower to the surface, full of hope…. But outside were thousands of corpses soaked in a sea of blood. There were the beings known as Rosa Masacre, smiling. At that moment, hope was destroyed. The group split up, and Jack and the Blood Maidens scattered on their own paths. Separated, each of them is drawn to the devouring Jail floating in the sky…. This is the end of the story of the Blood Maidens. Both the Steam game and the Deluxe Edition include Mary Skelter: Locked Up in Love - True End and Locked Up In Love - Blood High (DLCs in previous versions of the game). Locked Up in Love - True End is canonical of the Mary Skelter series, while Locked Up In Love - Blood High (also included in the game), is a spinoff of the Mary Skelter characters in a school setting.
Digital Deluxe Edition
- Mary Skelter Finale digital game Character Art Collection
- Rough Art Collection
- Original Soundtracks and Art Inlays (78 tracks total)
- x10 PC Wallpapers
- x7 Mobile Wallpapers
- PC Theme
- Grand Finale Bundle
- Mary Skelter: Locked Up in Love – True End
- Supply Drop, including x1 Energy Drink, x1 Medical Doctor, x1 Complete Cure
- Traveler’s Equipment, including Half-Helmet, Robust Cross, Apprentice’s Armband, Bracelet of Hard Knocks, Swiss Army Knife
- Mary Skelter Job Set I
- Mary Skelter Job Set II
- Purification Gallery Unlock
- Mary Skelter 2 Job Set I
- Mary Skelter 2 Job Set II
- Death end re;Quest Attire Set
- Kitty Sweater Set
- Unlocks the Kitty Sweater Set F Job Class for Thumbelina, Gretel
- T-Healer Set
- Unlocks the T-Healer Set F Job class for Rapunzel, Little Mermaid
- Pyre’s Uniform (Job)
- Unlocks a Job class for her that includes more healing skills
- Spa Set
- Unlocks the Spa Set F Job class for Mary, Charlotte
- Magician Set
- Unlocks the Magician Set F Job class for Sleeping Beauty, Hameln
- JO-Singer Set
- Unlocks the JO-Singer Set F Job class for Red Riding Hood, Kaguya
- G-Assassin Set
- Unlocks the G-Assassin Set F Job class for Alice, Otsuu
- R-Clown Set
- Unlocks the R-Clown Set F Job class for Cinderella, Snow White
Mary Skelter unfortunately ran into a complete ban in Australia post-release. Additionally, some changes were made to the international version of the game.
- Alice’s, Gretel’s, and Snow White’s Blood Skelter outfits are more modest.
- The purging mini-game was omitted.
- Touching crotch areas in the menus doesn’t elicit a lewd response.
- Blood Maidens are now clothed in their Critical Notice portraits.
After some of research, it became clear that this game has some issues due to being ported from an inferior switch version. The PS4 version is deemed better. For a long-winded explanation just read the review by Kingkrouch below the Steam page.
Obviously this Grand Finale of Alice’s story is loaded with violence, blood, ecchi and death, LOTS of DEATH.
Mary Skelter’s Grande Finale doesn’t add much new mechanically, it takes the established formula and expands on it fitting the biggest game in the trilogy. There are more items to discover than ever, the maps are structurally more complex catering to the experienced Dungeon Crawler to make the gameplay all the more satisfying.
Gameplay is where Mary Skelter Finale truly shines. The dungeon-crawling mechanics are finely tuned, offering a challenging and rewarding experience for both newcomers and series veterans. The game introduces innovative features like the Massacre Pink, formidable adversaries that layers of tension and strategy to battles. The combination of turn-based combat, character customization, and the need for careful resource management keeps players engaged and constantly adapting their strategies as they delve deeper into the mysterious jail complex.
The game is not free of controversy, however, as it came out with less visual quality than trailers and marketing suggested.
Even with its shortcomings, Mary Skelter remains a niche modern classic in the Eastern Dungeon Crawler genre for its artistic style and great soundtrack and now players can enjoy its closure in the West and accessible on PC in Japanese, Chinese and English.