This week’s header image comes from Dracu-Riot! (VNDB) which was picked up by Sekai at AX 2017.
VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status Updates Series) is published each Saturday and brings the latest updates from VN translation projects — both licensed and by fans — from around the net. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let us know in the comments.
From The Team: There were a ton of announcements last weekend at Anime Expo. Prepare yourselves for an especially beefy “Short Version” listing, and let me know what you thought of AX. – Tay
The Short Version: Only the New Stuff
- 7’scarlet (Spike Chunsoft) – Announced at AX! Releasing 2018
- Aiyoku no Eustia – Total TL: 16.76% > 17.63%; Total Edit: 10.23% > 11.19%; Total TLC: 9.09% > 10.28%
- Amagami – TL: 93.8% > 94.5%; Edit: 24% > 24.3%; Detailed update posted. Lots of info about fonts and formatting. Turns out it’s incredibly hard. (Link)
- Bad Apple Wars (Aksys) – Releasing September 29th
- Boku to Koisuru Ponkotsu Akuma (Sekai Project) – TL: 74.19% > 74.21%
- Dracu-Riot! – Picked up by Sekai! Learn more here. Consequently, we’re moving this to the Sekai section. All-ages and 18+ versions announced. Highly likely to use the fan TL (see Oxford Comma’s comment here).
- Eiyuu*Senki (JAST) – Per AX 2017: Confirmed to be coming this summer
- Evenicle (MangaGamer) – TL: 84% > 91%; Revealed at AX 2017, formerly Secret Project #2
- Fate/Hollow Ataraxia Voice Porting Project – 215/294 > 278/294 files voiced (94.56% of count, 89.91% of size). (Link) Aiming for a September release (Link) (Or September-ish, Link)
- Flowers -Le Volume sur Ete (JAST) – TL: 60% (Link)
- Gakuen Heaven 2 – Last Update: May 13th > July 2nd (Link)
- Hapymaher (MangaGamer) – TL: 82% > 85%; Edit: 76% > 78%
- Hashihime of the Old Book Town (MangaGamer) – TL: 64% > 76%
- Island (Front Wing) – Postponed to 2018 to coincide with the anime airing.
- Island Diary (Sekai Project) – Announced at AX! All-ages and 18+ versions announced
- Kaigen Seito – Wrote up a Gameplay Tips for Kaigen Seito post you may want to check out. Patch was released last week. (Link)
- Katahane – An’ call Belle! (JAST) – Per AX 2017: Coming early next year
- Koropokkur (MangaGamer) – Announced at AX 2017; Being developed by MangaGamer, itself
- Lover Able – TL: 76.36% > 78.01%; Edit: 20.71% > 20.73%; TLC: 44.55% > 45.31%
- Machine Child (JAST) – Getting an official release, per AX 2017 announcement (Link). If you want to support development, see Oyari’s Enty page (Link)
- Maggot Baits (MangaGamer) – TL: 39% > 42%
- Magical Marriage Lunatics (MangaGamer) – TL: 64% > 71%; Edit: 61% > 68%; Revealed at AX 2017, formerly Secret Project #3
- Maitetsu (Sekai Project) – 18+ release confirmed!
- Majikoi! Love me Seriously! (JAST) – Getting an official release, per AX 2017 announcement (Link)
- Majo Koi Nikki – TL: 88% > 90%; Edit: 87% > 88%; TLC: 55% > 63%
- Miko no Kanata: Curious Tales from the Shrine (Sekai Project) – Announced at AX! 18+ only
- Momoiro Closet (Front Wing) – Announced at AX!
- Monster Girl Quest Paradox – MGQP Part 2 Initial Patch Released (More info and links: Link)
- The Most Forbidden Love in the World (MangaGamer) – Revealed at AX 2017, formerly Secret Project #4. Both TL and Edit are at 100%
- Nanairo Reincarnation (Sekai Project) – Announced at AX! All-ages and 18+ versions announced
- Ninja Girl and the Mysterious Army of Urban Legend Monster (Sekai Project) – Announced at AX!
- Princess Evangile W Happiness (MangaGamer) – Open for Pre-Orders! Get it here. Release Date: July 28
- Princess X – My Fiancee is a Monster Girl (JAST) – Per AX 2017: Coming Fall 2017
- Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly (Aksys) – Announced at AX! Releasing 2018
- Real Life Plus Ver. Kaname Komatsuzak (Sekai Project) – Announced at AX! 18+ only
- Rewrite+ (VisualArts) – Translation duties switched over to Sekai Project, who will NOT be using the fan translation. See their table for all future updates.
- Rewrite+ (Sekai Project) – Sekai Project announced as publisher at AX! Will retranslate the VN from scratch, not using any of Amaterasu’s work.
- Sansha Mendan (18+) – TL: 80.8% > 89.4%
- Senren*Banka (Sekai Project) – Announced at AX! All-ages and 18+ versions announced
- Space Live (MangaGamer) – Announced at AX 2017
- Tenshin Ranman (Sekai Project) – 18+ version confirmed.
- Tsui Yuri – Not dead, just dealing with big technical issue (Link)
- Tsujidou-san no Jun’ai Road – Common Route Part 2: 71.07% > 100%; Total: 17.5% > 19.31%; Full Common Route patch released. Get it, HD assets, and more info here.
- Umineko When They Cry (MangaGamer) – Chapters 1-4 getting a physical release in August. Check it out and pre-order it here.
- Wonderful Everyday ~Diskontinuierliches Dasein~ (SubaHibi) (Front Wing) – Releasing this August! Will only be purchasable on Steam with only the first chapter available, with a free patch restoring the rest of the content* being made available on the day of release.
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects
Zakabox™ 「This is the place where Zaka occasionally shares his wisdom. Will he show up this week? Will he have anything to say? Only time will tell.」
Decay’s MusingsSo this has been quite the AX, huh? To get the obvious out of the way: yep, Dracu-Riot was picked up by Sekai Project, and the fan project I’ve been leading for a while now has been in talks with them. If you want to know more, read this post on the Oxford Comma is Superior Subs blog. If you have any questions/comments, please direct them there or in the Fuwanovel thread for the project here.
Outside of Dracu-Riot, there were a ton of really cool VN announcements! I really didn’t expect SP to announce Senren Banka as well, for a start. It’s a little silly to see one publisher have three active translation projects for the same developer like this. But Yuzusoft’s VNs are not only absurdly popular in Japan, they’re also among the most popular VNs in the west, and I have no doubt that the official releases will be really successful. I hope Yuzusoft sees that success and continues licensing out their stuff.
I’m also pretty excited for Evenicle. It sounds like it could be a pretty fun game on its own, and while I’m not a fan of the Senran Kagura games, I do enjoy Yaegashi Nan’s general artstyle, so I’m looking forward to playing a game with his art that I actually enjoy! I’m sure there’s also a subset of players who are just interested in getting Nan’s art in an eroge, the first such eroge to be translated since Da Capo 2, where he had a pretty different style.
And Majikoi getting picked up?? Even though it was plainly obvious that Peter Payne was trying to get that license, I’m not sure anyone expected this to actually happen. Part of the problem was that Yandere Translations, the group who Fan TLed most of the VN, is hard to reach due to its leader Takajun being AWOL. The solution? I guess to just throw that stuff out and forge on regardless. I’m told that the Yandere translation is not being used and Maji Translations will be redoing those parts. Which is all well and good, since the folk at Maji Translations seem more capable of handling comedy than Yandere were.
I’m also excited to hear that Subahibi is only a month or two away. I certainly didn’t expect the release date to be so soon. I also didn’t expect it to be embroiled in so much controversy. The cut bestiality sequence (consisting of about 10 – 15 lines) is raising a lot of eyebrows, but if it’s just those few lines that are cut, then I’m okay with it. I think we can also expect to see a restoration patch in very short order, considering how brief that sequence is.
There’s not just that censorship issue, but also a twitter controversy sparked by the translation’s former editor Herkz (back from when it was a fan translation). I’m not gonna lie, I don’t like how it sounds like Frontwing handled the acquisition of that fan translation. If you’re respecting a fan translation enough to actually use it in an official release, you should respect the people who made it. But beyond that issue, I’m not sure how much I buy into the other accusations being made here. Outside of the ChiruChiru debacle, Frontwing has shown themselves to be a competent publisher of English VNs, and we haven’t really be given a compelling reason as to why they shouldn’t be trusted with Subahibi. I’m cautiously optimistic that they’ll still do right by that game, but combined with this and the censorship issue, I don’t blame anyone who wants to take the wait-and-see approach.
Anyway, there are so many other games announced at AX that seem cool! Which ones are you all looking forward to?