Hey everybody. Have any of you just gone a couple days without eating, and not really noticed? I’m kind of in one of those states right now. It’s rather odd: I don’t feel like my blood sugar is low, or lightheaded, or anything. Maybe I’m getting super powers? Anyway, on with the show!
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments.
The Short Version: Only the New Stuff
- Amagami – TL: 77.3% > 81.4%; Detailed update here
- Bishoujo Mangekyou -Norowareshi Densetsu no Shoujo – Edit: 50% > 58%; QC: 38% > 53%; Proofreading: 15% > 21%
- Chrono Clock (Sekai Project) – TL: 32.19% > 32.92%; Uncut 18+ version is confirmed and will release on Nutaku.
- Dracu-Riot! – Editing has fallen behind, and Fiddle’s conscience has forced the following: A technically 100% patch will soon be released, containing the Oxford Comma’s common and Miu routes (whereas everything else will remain the unedited work of Staircase Subs). Editing work on the other routes continues. (Link)
- Funbag Fantasy (MangaGamer) – Released! Get it here; Will remain on the list until 10/15
- Libra of the Vampire Princess (MiKandi Japan) – Calen Route TL: 100%; Aoi’s Route TL: 15%
- Lover Able – TL – Common: 57.65%; TL – Overall: 15.02%; Recruiting translators and TLC
- Maitetsu (Sekai Project) – TL: 26.84% > 31.06%%
- Majo Koi Nikki – TL: 36.9% > 37.6%; Edit: 27.2% > 29.5%; TLC: 11.7% > 12%
- Please Bang My Wife (MangaGamer) – Announced this week, releasing on September 30th.
- Shi ni Iku Kimi, Yakata ni Mebuku Zouo – TL: 1/69 Scripts
- Shin Koihime Musou – Team issues has led to a change in strategy: the SKM team released a patch and are asking for help crowdsourcing feedback, typos, and edits. Check out their post (link) for more info, and for a link to the patch.
- Tenshin Ranman (Sekai Project) – TL: 43.02% > 45.88%
- Tsui Yuri – Total TL: 68% > 74%
- Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete – Airi’s Route’s initial TL is done; partial patch to come soon
- Wagamama High Spec (Sekai Project) – TL: 22.82% > 23.72%
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=182]
- (9/10/2016) Note: I missed adding a game to the list this week. Officially I skipped it “on accident”. In reality, it was a brief, vengeful fugue state. If you’re interested in the game’s premise, ask Decay or Zaka for my summary sometime.
- Title: Please Bang My Wife; VNDB: Link; Release Date: 09/30
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=186]
— Commentary Section —
「Hi, I’m back and stuff. Actually I was last week, but a pair of German brown bears (Tay was slightly misinformed as to my location) had followed me to Sweden planning to assassinate me, so I had to deal with them and then the police got involved. One of the stranger days I’ve had, though the one where I had to resurrect my osananajimi with a Key miracle on the same day as I saved the world from certain doom (cause unrelated) still tops the list.
The whole SP partnering with Nutaku thing is interesting. A (very!) wild guess would be that SP is actually planning to branch more heavily into nukige, at which point Nutaku’s already-established customer base could be a real boon – but they’re currently putting Chrono Clock there which is more of a moege than a nukige, so who knows. From what I hear there are no plans to shut down the Denpa store at the moment, though titles will appear there later than on Nutaku. Nutaku will also not be taking over translation duties, which I’m p. fine with.
I’m happy to see Amagami progress; it seems fun – several of my friends were playing it in Japanese earlier, and I’m way too lazy to figure out text hooking on an emulator. Granted, by the time they finish, maybe I just won’t need it to begin with – I finished the second of three routes in watajuu today, so who knows, maybe I’ll pick something actually hard(er) up soon enough.
Shi ni Iku Kimi, Yakata ni Mebuku Shoujo, more commonly known as nikuniku, is yet another VN with gore galore that y’all #edgelords should enjoy. I may or may not be interested in trying it myself, though I’m not really big on the whole torture and blood deal; people say the story’s good. Then again, said people are probably all connoisseurs of this kind of material, or they wouldn’t be reading it to begin with.
I do hope at least some people will actually wait to read the final, finished Dracu-Riot patch that Deccy has been working so hard-ish on once Oxford Comma finishes sometime in Octemberary. I suppose at least it won’t be like the F/HA 100% leak where people actually read what was partly plain machine translation.
I have to admit, the new direction the Shin Koihime Musou project is taking is worrying me when it comes to their chances of actually having it picked up for localization later. Crowdsourcing rarely goes well for anything but maybe proofreading from what I’ve seen. At least they’re not calling for crowdsourced translation, which is the real infamous German chancellor.
In closing, think twice before using parchment paper when baking potato wedges. We tried it and they just didn’t get properly crispy, which is a crying shame as homemade potato wedges have a very high taste ceiling. And with that, see you next week – I have to go fight another bear to earn my living.」
Hi all. I hope you’re all eager to play this week’s big release, Funbag Fantasy. Again, Funbag Fantasy. I have to admit, I don’t hate that name. Everyone else seems to but it’s dumb, it’s amusing, and it’s oddly memorable. And the VN itself seems awfully dumb as well, as was the original Japanese title so it all checks out. Anyway, the VN itself? It’s a nukige through and through, but apparently they also get pretty deep with the world building and all that. They make it interesting between the sex scenes, and the end result is a VN that is pretty beloved, believe it or not. I don’t think you’ll get anything out of it if you don’t love huge breasted women, but at least it’s not a super low-effort nukige like a lot of the other stuff that gets translated. Personally, this one doesn’t seem for me at all. I’ve never been into kyonyuu and nothing about this VN seems appealing to me, although I’m slightly curious about the story.
Speaking of low-effort nukige, it seems MG just announced a new title! And it’s a really short and shallow-looking NTR VN humbly titled “Please Bang My Wife,” a weapons-grade game title seemingly designed for the sole purpose of destroying Tay’s will to live. I wanted to share some of the thoughts he had on VN after I described the story to him but I fear the ramifications. For those five minutes in time, Tay knew true madness. Reduced to a state of raving lunacy, the words he spoke were madness incarnate, and to know them would be to flirt with insanity itself. I myself barely came out the other end with all my wits intact. Just know that Tay is a very sweet and pure boy, and that he should not be exposed to these things if you can help it.
Oh right, I also wanted to talk about Funbag Fantasy’s decensoring. Boy, does that not look any good. It’s abundantly clear that these assets were not made with the intention of ever demosaicing them, and it shows. This is actually among the worst I have ever seen. If you ever wonder why some people prefer mosaics, look no further than Funbag Fantasy. Like, okay, I get it, some people REALLY hate mosaics and won’t buy anything with them included. So MG is obligated to remove them whenever possible. But is this really okay? FF’s demosaicing is bad enough that I actually picture quite a few people being heavily turned off by it, making the whole effort a wash in the first place.
In these cases, shouldn’t there at least be an option to select which you prefer? Yeah, that’s some extra work, but I really think it would be worth it. As it is now, you’re securing the anti-mosaic crowd but at the expense of many other people who don’t get aroused by abstract geometric shapes intersecting to portray something you might call sex. How hard would it be to provide an option and ensure that everyone’s able to get their jollies? Boy, this is turning into an awfully lewd commentary section, huh?
To class this up a little bit, well… okay, I don’t have anything classy to talk about. Instead I’ll just give Ladykiller in a Bind a shoutout. This is an EVN we aren’t tracking because it’s an independent release, but maybe we should anyway just because it looks awesome? And also lewd as hell. It’s from the writer behind the Analogue/Hate series. The demo I played was really entertaining and the writer is a really cool person. If you want a VN that will portray sex in a very different light from the vast majority of all Japanese eroge out there, check it out when it releases in a few weeks, October 10th.
Anyway, that’s it from me. See you all next time.
Have a good week, everybody!