This week’s header image is from Maitetsu, a game which will receive an official localization per Sekai Project’s announcements last night at the Anime Boston convention.
Tonight has been a busy night. For those unaware, there are two large conventions going on: Anime Boston, and Sakura-Con. MangaGamer had three big announcements at Anime Boston, while Sekai Project had a total of six spread across the two conventions (of which I know three). As of the writing of this post, I don’t know Sekai Project’s Anime Boston announcements, so look for those in the comments, below. In the meantime, here are the six announcements of which I’m aware:
- A hardcopy of Free Friends (take a look/buy it here)
- Kindred Spirits Drama CDs!
- Imouto Paradise 2
- Please also be aware that due to a change in management over at Navel, Soul Link (download) and Shuffle (download / hardcopy) will be discontinued as of March 31st. You will still be able to download and play bought copies, but they will be taken off of their store.
- Companion (Game Site)
- Still, I Miss Her (South Korean VN) (Game Site)
- Sakura Spirit manga adaption
- Maitetsu (Game Site)
- Sekai Project announced A Clockwork Ley-Line for official release on Steam! They will be using Kohaku’s translation. We will move the project to the appropriate table next week.
- SP also announced Just Deserts, a sci-fi military… dating sim? Yeah.
I’d like to thank Decay, here at the start, for all of his help. Not only has he been a great support tonight, but he’s carried VNTS for the last two weeks, and I ask that we all give him our thanks for his time and hard work.
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments.
The Short Version:
Only the New Stuff
- AstralAir – TL: 72.13 > 72.52%; Edit: 72.13 > 72.52% (47049/64880)
- Companion (Sekai Project) – Announced! Official game page, here.
- Fate/Hollow Ataraxia Voice Porting Project – Work is progressing well, look forward to more updates soon
- HaraKano – Ren’s Route – 8001 > 10,500 lines translated (Link).
- Hoka no Onna – TL: 11131 > 12584 Lines
- Imouto Paradise! 2 (MangaGamer) – Announced!
- KARAKARA (Sekai Project) – TL Progress: 46.42%
- Lovely x Cation – Overall Progress: 28% > 31.6% (more details here)
- Maitetsu (Sekai Project) – Announced! Game site here.
- Muv-Luv Series – Beta version of Muv-Luv Extra to be made available to Kickstarter backers in early April; Muv-Luv Unlimited and the public release for MLE/MLU pushed back from late April/early May to Summer 2016. (link)
- Re:Birthday Song – TL: 65% > 70% (details on the update here)
- Shin Koihime Musou – Character Events TL: 87.2% > 96.5%; Total TL: 73%
- Still, I Missed Her (Sekai Project) – Announced! Game site here.
- Witch’s Garden – Some common route re-translation is ongoing (currently at 29.75%) (link)
Removed from the List This Week
- Atom Grrrl – Buy the all-ages version on Steam here, or the 18+ version on Denpasoft here.
- Nekopara Vol. 2 – Get it on Steam!
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=92]
MangaGamer (Updates)[wpdatatable id=94]
- Rance 5D, Rance VI, and Rance Quest fan translations on hold in anticipation of potential official release by MangaGamer.
- Magical Eyes – Red is for Anguish – Pre-Order is up! (Link)
- The translation of Kindred Spirits’ Drama CDs have been announced!
- Free Friends hardcopy has been put up for pre-order and is releasing May 20th!
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=96]
— Commentary Section —
「Ahh, the sweet smell of announcements wafts into the community. It is time once again to nitpick and on occasion despair about licensing choices, the presence or absence of porn, whether or not Kickstarters are actually that dissimilar to actions taken by the third reich, and more! Personally maitetsu, henceforth lolitrains, doesn’t really interest me, but I’ve seen a decent amount of interest for it some places I frequent. Lose apparently lets you do more or less everyone no matter their age or side character status in their VNs, so we’ll see if the lolitrains will, uhh, keep rolling all night long in English.
What does interest me, apart from the Kindred Spirits drama CDs (I’m currently in the process of reading lesbooans), is actually Companion. A Taiwanese visual novel, the title (伴性) actually means “companion star” in Chinese (unless my internet friends betray me), which makes some sense given that a star’s apparently about to plummet back down to earth in a few months of time in-universe. It looks like it could be anything from a tragedy (and people mention Key’s planetarian, apparently?) or something more about making do with what you get like I heard Soshite Ashita no Sekai yori does. We’ve already had some nice Korean visual novels over (our esteemed global mod Nosebleed especially liked Lucy), so it definitely seems like Japanese won’t be the only way to go moving forward.
Otherwise, Shin Koihime Musou seems to be making progress whether we actually track it or not, and KARAKARA’s translation was either started before the actual crowdfunder ended or is going at light speed. It also looks like the F/HA voice porting turned out surprisingly possible… and now my parents are calling me and I have three minutes to get dressed. Write you again next week, hopefully.」
And convention season has begun! As of the time I’m writing this, MangaGamer’s Anime Boston and Sekai Project’s Sakuracon panels have run their course, while SP’s Anime Boston panel is still about ten hours away. SP had a doozy for us in Maitetsu. It’s a VN about anthropomorphic loli trains. Really. The thing that’s surprising isn’t that SP picked up a loli game, it’s that they picked up THIS loli game. The lolis are… very young looking, to say the least. Maitetsu’s heroines makes Sweet Sweat in Summer’s heroine look like a granny in comparison.
SP is probably going to be selling this one on Steam, and even without sexual content, it is still toeing the line of what’s morally acceptable in the western world. You can bet that an 18+ release is unlikely. There could be serious repercussions depending on where they would decide to sell such a product. Which makes their acquisition of this title all the more surprising, I wonder if they’re trying to prove a point, and what that point is. While Lose’s games have extraordinarily young-looking heroines with plenty of h-scenes that will need to be cut, they also actually have a fair amount of story to accompany them, so it’s not like there would be nothing of value left after the cuts.
I wonder if it’s the kind of thing the Steam audience would go for. Another interesting aspect of Steam is how public and social it is. You can’t selectively hide games from your friends. How many people will want to admit to others that they’re playing this? There’s certainly those who don’t care, but a LOT of people do still care about that kind of thing. Your average VN reader on Steam may not care that their friends can see them playing Nekopara, but what about Eight Year Old Girl Kissing Simulator 2016? I’m very interested in seeing how it performs in light of this. And I’ll admit, I’m looking forward to the inevitable chaos that will ensue.
SP also announced two new doujin titles, as they like to do. A Taiwanese VN titled Companion said to have similar tone to Planetarian, and a Korean VN titled Still, I Miss Her, which has a pretty interesting plot summary, to say the least. The protagonist has his girlfriend “stolen” from him and he seeks revenge, and will attempt to steal the multiple girlfriends of the guy who NTR’ed him. This isn’t your typical “all-ages” Steam romance schlock, that’s for sure. It has more in common with a ’90s and early ’00s NTR eroge than anything else on Steam. So if you’re into that, maybe you’ll be into this, even though there’s no 18+ version? I always thought the sex scenes were supposed to be the payoff in those titles, so I don’t know how this VN will fare without those.
And MangaGamer surprised almost no one by announcing Imouto Paradise 2. I mean, it was time, right? I don’t have much to say about this other than if you liked ImoPara 1, this seems like more of the same? They also announced a Kindred Spirits drama CD. That’s cool, I guess. I really loved Kindred Spirits (check out my review here!), but I’m not really one for side-stories. I feel like my Kindred Spirits experience is complete. I’m not sure how much I can get out of some audio-only drama CDs.
These aren’t high-profile events, though, and these are the kinds of announcements we’ve come to expect from MangaGamer at these early conventions. If you were hoping for fireworks, then you got a taste from SP, but you’ll have to wait a little longer for MangaGamer’s. They’ll be at Anime Central in May with two announcements, including a new partner, so that’s cool. But the real big announcements typically don’t come until A-Kon, Anime Expo, and Otakon in June, July, and August respectively. Expect to hear of your Rances, Eustias, and Albatrosses then. Until then, enjoy the current blistering release schedule. Tokyo Babel releases in just a few days, get hyped.
Oh wait, two last things. 1) What the hell is happening with Root Double? It’s only a five days left until the end of March! Sekai Project, plz, you’re killing me here. Just say something about it already! 2) “There will be news on ley line soon.”
It’s been a wild night. Both MangaGamer and Sekai Project had convention panels, and we’ve got a lot of news to share with you. MangaGamer: announced three releases: 1) A hardcopy of Free Friends (take a look/buy it here); 2) Kindred Spirits Drama CDs; and 3) Imouto Paradise 2.
If I get a chance, later tonight, I hope to share some thoughts about Maitetsu (with its loli content) and the lack of Otome support, but if that doesn’t happen, I’ll put it in the comments below. In the meantime, I need to hit the road and get home before midnight.
Have a good week, everybody!