Subscribe to email updates by signing up on this page. You’ll get an email each time a post goes up on the blog (though you can go into your account settings and customize it to only email you VNTS updates)
Happy new year! Ladies and Gentlemen, I hope you’ve braced yourself, for The Purge is at hand. What better way to ring in the new year than to crush the hopes and dreams of all our dear readers? Okay, let’s be real for a moment, this is going to be a little harsh. Our weekly posts have become overlong and somewhat difficult to maintain. It has contained many projects that have had very little to no activity over the last year.
Here’s how this will go down, there are 21 titles that we have deemed necessary to be cut. Not all of these projects are even fully dead. I will provide a brief explanation for each project we’re cutting. What I can promise you is that we will continue to monitor these projects, and if there are any renewed signs of actual continual activity we will immediately re-add them to the list. No hard feelings for the team members of these cut projects, we wish you all the best luck, whether you’re actually going to ever resume work on the translation or not. Also, as most of these projects aren’t fully dead, many of them are inactive due to the lack of translators or editors. If you’re capable of helping, please do!
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments. Any new updates are marked by orange text.
List of deleted VNs
- Amairo Islenauts – This project was put on the list before the project leader, Blizzard884, suddenly reappeared. However, even with this reappearance, we have deemed the project inactive enough to remove it from the list for now. In the meantime, Blizzard IS looking for more translators.
- Gore Screaming Show – The translator disappeared some time ago and CryingWestern hasn’t been able to find any replacements.
- Hatsukoi 1/1 – The translator here never actually claimed they were going to released a finished translation patch. Progress was minimal for the first half of the year, and stopped entirely in June.
- Hiiro no Kakera – It’s been over a year since the last update.
- KoiTate – Magicflier says it’s not dead, but there’s been no reported progress for most of the year.
- Kud Wafter – I hope for the best for the translator, who has been battling depression and other real-life circumstances. He made a single update half a year ago, after a year of silence, so there’s not really any reason to keep it around.
- Lover Able – There was maybe one or two updates in a month’s time before vanishing completely.
- PersonA – The only update in the last 15 months was a single “not dead” update.
- Princess Maker 5 – No progress in over a year
- Rance 5D, Rance Quest, Rance VI – These are never coming out as patches. Due to the circumstances surrounding MangaGamer’s deal with AliceSoft, the translators decided to table the translation or work slowly in the background, waiting for the games to be licensed for official release. We are moving this information down to the MangaGamer section as a footnote.
- Sanarara R – Over a year of inactivity due to technical reasons. May resume if he finds a hacker?
- Sayonara wo Oshiete – No activity in well over a year. I do not know if the translator, Cafe, ever intends to return to his fan projects, but either way there are no signs that activity will resume in the near future so it’s cut.
- SonoHana 11 – The translator seems to have no intentions of releasing a patch. He has actually been diligently reporting his progress in this thread, but has also reported that he will respect the license MangaGamer has received for these games, and actually intends to offer his work to them. At least this is the situation as I understand it.
- Supreme Candy – Habluka has shown some very brief glimmers of activity over the last year or two, but that’s not enough to give us hope for continued activity in the near future.
- Wand of Fortune – Along with Hiiro no Kakera, it’s been a long time since the last update.
- White Album 2 – Hoo boy, some controversy! This project isn’t dead. In fact, it’s pretty active! Also, the translation is of unimaginably bad quality. Do you remember Flyable Hearts? Well, hopefully not, because we’ve been doing our best trying to keep it from you, but if you’ve happened across that machine translation, you’d know how unreadably bad it is. White Album 2’s translation quality is currently just slightly better. We don’t want to be the almighty arbitrators of quality, not everything on this list will be of great or even good quality. The readers should ultimately be the judge of what they feel is worth reading. But White Album 2 crosses a certain threshold where we don’t even want to give it the time of day. This isn’t something we want anyone to get excited about or play by mistake.
- Yosuga no Sora – Barely any activity over the last 18 months, none at all for the last eight or so. Additionally, there are questions regarding the translation quality, questions to the same degree of the White Album 2 ones. The common route and Sora route were good, but the other routes have been highly questionable. Even without this concern, the inactivity is real.
- Planet Ruler – Oops. Okay, so I actually halfway remember someone posting in our comments about this months ago. As it turns out, this was released six months ago. Also, it’s not even a visual novel. Boy, that’s embarrassing.
- Resette’s Prescription – We actually have no idea what this is. I believe all Sekai Project has provided was a name and a translation percentage. It might not even be a VN. Until we know more, it’s off the list.
The Short Version:
Only the New Stuff
- AstralAir – Another 1,000 line week. Gotta love those. 64.50%
- Bunny Black 2 – Beta patch released! Covers up to the castle hub. Translation progress is up to 78.8%.
- Koiken Otome – Another small bump to 98.02% TL and 94.41% TLC.
- Monster Girl Quest Paradox – New partial patch released! Covers up to the Harpy Village.
- Shin Koihime Musou – They’ve posted an update on their facebook page (Link). No total TL percent update, but they’ve done some work recently.
- SonoHana 10 – Lily Platinum – Released! Kind of. It seems they’ve finished translation several months ago and a rough patch without translated images or choices was released back then. A new patch that should be fully translated was released last week.
- Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi – Up to 21.1% TL.
- Witch’s Garden – 65.45% TL. Keep up the good work!
- NEKOPARA Vol. 2 – Aww yeah, everyone’s favorite kittens are back. 61.42%. Also we pretty much know the release date already. February 20th, so get ready for that. It feels pretty weird tracking percentages if we already know when it will release anyways.
Also, Tay gets mad at me if I don’t give OELVNs their proper due, and trust me, you don’t want to see Tay when he’s mad.
- Sakura Santa came out a couple weeks ago. You can read our review for it here, and if you’ve read that and still want to buy it, I applaud your masochistic tendencies. You can pick it up here. (this is the best way to drive affiliate link purchases, right?)
- No One But You is set to launch January 19th!
They don’t seem to have any pre-orders set up yet.edit: Wow, way to not read my own list, me. To be fair, when I searched for it on MG’s site, it didn’t show up. The steam page is here, and you can pre-order the 18+ version on MangaGamer here. Also there’s some confusion as to whether or not SP is still involved with the game? Steam still lists them, so we’ll keep things as they are now.
|Fan TL Project||Team||Brief Status Summary|
|Akaya Akashiya Ayakashino|
|Ni Shi Shi TL|
|Anniversary no Kuni no Alice|
|Märchen TL (Progress)|
|Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm (Aokana)|
|Black Wolves Saga -Bloody Nightmare-|
|Brother Conflict PSP|
|Bunny Black 2|
|Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient|
|Hysteric 4 U|
|Dorei to no Seikatsu -Teaching Feeling-|
|Quof & spacegodzilla & jellypubes|
(Denwatls’ Secret Project)
|Fate/Hollow Ataraxia Voice Porting Project||Progress|
|Loe Quality TL|
|Silent Summer Translations|
|Hoka no Onna no Ko to H wo Shiteiru Ore wo Mite Koufun Suru Kanojo|
|Washi TL (Progress)|
|Iinazuke wa Imouto-sama!|
|Irotoridori no Sekai|
|Ken ga Kimi|
|Kimi ga Nozomu Eien|
|Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki (Koisaku)|
|Kono Oozora Retranslation Project|
|(Progress in this thread)|
|Lovely x Cation|
|Mahou Tsukai no Yoru|
(Progress – outdated)
|Mahou Tsukai no Yoru|
|Mahou Tsukai no Yoru|
|nrvnqsr Team (Progress)|
|Monster Girl Quest Paradox|
(Blog) (MGQP-Related Posts)
|Muv-Luv Altered Fable|
|Muv-Luv Alternative – Total Eclipse|
|Oreimo Tsuzuku (Disc 2)|
|Rewrite Harvest Festa|
|Shin Koihime Musou|
|Starry Sky ~in Summer~|
|Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi|
|onlyMyRailgun & Team|
|Tasogaredoki no Kyoukaisen|
|To Heart 2|
|Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete|
JAST USA (Updates; Archive)
|Game||Database Entry||Summary of the Current Status|
|Bitch na Ichinichi||VNDB|
|Trample on Schatten||VNDB|
- Shiny Days (JAST) – Ver. 1.01e bugfix patch released! (Link) Restoration patch released! (Link)
- Starless – Script check 10%, added new mosaic to fix list.
|Mangagamer||Database Entry||Brief Status Summary|
|Beat Blades Haruka||VNDB|
|Da Capo 3||VNDB|
|Free Friends 2||VNDB|
|Himawari -a pebble in the sky-!||VNDB|
|The House in Fata Morgana||VNDB|
|Kindred Spirits On The Roof||VNDB|
|My Boss’ Wife is My Ex!||VNDB|
|Princess Evangile W Happiness||VNDB|
|The Shadows of Pygmalion||VNDB|
|Supipara (Ch 1)||VNDB|
|Umineko When They Cry||VNDB|
Rance 5D, Rance VI, and Rance Quest fan translations on hold in anticipation of potential official release by MangaGamer.
Other orders on MangaGamer:
Sekai Project (Update Page)
|Game||Database Entry||Release Date / Status|
|Human Reignition Project||VNDB|
|Labyrinth of Grisaia||VNDB|
|Narcissu Trilogy Remake||VNDB|
|Ne no Kami: The Two Princess Knights of Kyoto||VNDB|
|Neko Para Vol. 2||VNDB|
|No One But You||VNDB|
|Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition||VNDB|
|Rising Angels: Fates||VNDB|
|Sunrider: Liberation Day||VNDB|
|WAS -The Hourglass of Lepidoptera-||VNDB|
|WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.03||VNDB|
Here’s a handy link to sort Sekai Project’s Steam releases by release date: link
Other Licensed Translations
|Libra of the Vampire Princess|
|Little Busters Perfect Edition|
|Magical Eyes – Red is for Anguish|
|Wish Tale of the Sixteenth Night|
— Commentary Section —
「I may be listed first, but I’m last to write my commentary… as usual. However, after waking up at an absurdly early hour (11:30 a.m.), I realized that my comrades had been overly revisionist. See, they have failed to mention a certain… alarming change to the title. Let me be clear about this: there is no excuse for whatever dumb reason SEO gets worsened by having the date ordered in a sane way. However, whether or not I like it, more publicity ultimately trumps my own preferences. Unless we start advertising with Sakura titles, in which case we should probably sit down and think for a minute then slash our wrists.
The editor actually feels even laggier than when Deccy hadn’t removed all those projects, but that’s probably partly due to my somewhat underpowered laptop. After weeks of suffering, I still haven’t gotten to fixing my desktop. Suffering a GPU malfunction causing constant artifacts is no joke, but amazingly dad actually seems to have a spare card lying around. Nevertheless, it’s all too much effort for poor me. Even if it actually handicaps me in Hearthstone because of how slowly animations play, I could actually get to rank 1 one star last season. Things should be alright… on that track, apparently “alright” is sometimes not kosher and you should avoid using it in formal writing. I say bugger anyone complaining about it, as it makes sense and looks okay.
The SonoHana 10 patch was something I kinda vaguely knew about in that translation was completed ages ago but nothing much seemed to be surfacing (the deal with MG over Remembering How We Met may be to blame.) While not common, there does seem to be a few hidden gems, partial patches and so on yet to be found. Granted, I generally make it my policy to only read something once it’s fully translated and has gotten as much care as it can. I did read the Lamune partial, but in my defense, I got started on it because I was working on a pre-patch (way back, way back, chill out man.) Also, the heroine routes seemed fairly self-contained, so there’s that… anyway, RIP zoom909 – your tls will be missed. By someone, at least.
In closing, I’m in a bit of a sulk right now as we’re out of the Swedish variety of fermented milk known as “fil”, leaving me unable to have and muesli for breakfast. Also, mum’s going away for a few days, so now I’m stuck with dad. Ah well, I shall persevere, even if it means buying a ring of health and a void stone. Though I’m not sure where I’m going to get the 1700 gold. Maybe just reading a VN or two will suffice.」
So yeah, this was a long overdue change that needed to happen. One thing I noticed is that the editor instantly became more responsive after I removed all of those VNs from the list. That was becoming a growing problem. A somewhat smaller table should mean it’s easier for you guys to peruse, will take less time for us to do these updates, and people won’t get excited by hopeless causes. Some of these are not completely hopeless, I hope Blizzard884 is able to get things together again for Amairo Islenauts, I’m a Yuzusoft fan and want to see that project succeed.
Currently, all of the removed projects are basically set back to the status that all unlisted projects are at. So they’ll face the same criteria that other projects face in order to get re-added. Basically, they need to show some semblance of continual progress, indicating that they are a “real” project worth tracking, and not just an idea. Islenauts might just show up again a couple weeks down the line. Random note: for Tasogaredoki no Kyoukaisen, this is a really borderline project we ultimately kept because it is so theoretically close. But to be honest, if it remains “close” for much longer, it’s getting the axe, too.
So Gahkthun came out a little over a week ago. You all should go and read that. It’s very good, and I’ve said as much in my latest review. Read the review if you need convincing. I feel like I’ve gotten my review game down a bit more. I kept things a little bit more concise than my sprawling euphoria review, and tried to pick apart all of its flaws before making a case on why it’s still good, anyways. No VN is perfect, after all. I think any fans of steampunk or chuuni fiction will have a great time with Gahkthun. And there’s a fair bit of slice-of-life stuff in there too for people who like that. I mostly just want everyone to buy Gahkthun because it will ensure the series will continue to be translated. Valusia and Sona-Nyl, arguably the two best games in the series, are still stuck in Japanese. Sona-nyl in particular is considered one of the best VNs there is. If there is any cause worth supporting in the VN industry, it’s this.
Anyways, that’s it for me this week. Go check out Tay’s commentary below, it’s important! Also Tay is back, yay! Well, everything sort of broke on his return, but we’re sort of used to that by now. Tay’s return spells good things for the site as a whole, and I’m excited for the direction it’s going in. If things go well, the front page will become a valuable asset once again and tracking VN translation progress will become a whole lot easier for us all. You may also eventually be able to keep track of all these dead/inactive projects we’re cutting, if you’re missing those.
Happy New Year! 2015 was a monumental year for Fuwanovel, and I have a feeling 2016 will be even better. Both Fuwa and our VNTS posts have never been stronger in traffic and user interaction, and I feel honored to work with so many great people – like the Eternal Hero of the State, Decay, and Lord Zaka – to work on content you enjoy. I want to thank all of our readers for embarking on this journey with us – it’s been a wild ride, and great things are on the horizon for our VN translation tracking efforts.
The first announcement we have for you is that starting next week we’ll be launching a new format for our VNTS posts. We’ve worked with a great group of coders to build a dynamic table app which will better display the weekly data and allow you to sort, download and analyze the VNTS data each week. The new tabulation methods are just a stepping stone to a much more robust VN tracking system we hope to roll out later this year.
We launched another big IPB upgrade on the forums, and it caused all sorts of chaos. I spent most of the evening trying to restore our customized features and layout, and I’ll continue to work on it this weekend. Gratzi for your patience, all.
I’m at my in-laws for a few days, and it’s amazing how mixing my cats with my sister-in-law’s cats has caused something akin to World War III. Cats are scary. The other morning I accidently walked in on a six-cat Mexican standoff and set off a hissy/scratchy/backflip-y chain reaction. No wonder our ancestors feared lions and tigers…
You’ll start hearing about our year-end feedback surveys within the next few days. If you can find a few minutes to fill out these surveys, we’d really appreciate it. All results will be read by myself, community leaders, and a small feedback committee, and then I’ll be posting the results publicly later this month (as soon as possible, depending on how busy my schedule gets).
Attention numbers nerds: I’ll also be posting some reports in the coming week about our site’s yearly analytics and performance. I know many of you are curious to see exactly what’s happened to Fuwanovel before and after we dropped torrents, and I’ll do my best to share what I’ve found. Not everything smells of roses (though the news is overall very positive), but I’m dedicated to transparency and will do my best to deliver.
Thanks for a great year, for reading this post, and for helping me out with the year-end feedback surveys. I look forward to reviewing and sharing the survey results.
Have a nice week, everybody.
This week’s header image is from SonoHana 10 – Lily Platinum, to celebrate its release.
Sad that there is still no news as to how far along the Labyrinth of Grisaia project is. Hopefully very soon we get a release date of some sort.
The word from Sekai Project is that there has been setbacks but are still working on it and it should be finished soon.
Been following that game since like 2013 and now it’s gone for good. Damn.
I really dont want to bring more trolling into this but I saw a post the other day that gives me so much hope it hurts.
“Okay, we’ll stop beating the dead horse. Everything will be released (WIP or otherwise) on 1/4/2016, as per Staircase release date tradition.”
Saw this on the staircase subs site thought I would put it here.
As for Hatsukoi 1/1, I got in touch with the translator on twitter. He mentioned that his progress on Hatsukoi 1/1 and Konozora FD are on hold as he is currently busy/actively involved with the existing Konozora translation project — Just thought I’d give any information I know to help anyone wondering 🙂
Sad days. The 2 VNs I was looking forward to most were WA2 and Yosuga no Sora.
WA2 is still in the works. IC is long finished, CC has many of the routes finished while Coda is still in the early stages.
The stuff said about the translation, in this post, seems a bit over the top, at least if you compare it with many other fan translated VN’s.
Shame about YnS, I’d been following it for years with some faith.
It sucks that two of my favorite projects, White Album 2 and Yosuga no Sora, both were cut. Then again, it was false hope for Yosuga No Sora and I knew the TL was bad for White Album 2. Both of these cuts are making me want to learn Japanese faster.
I’m pretty sure Resette’s Prescription is an adventure/puzzle game, not a visual novel at all, so you’re correct to be removing that one. Also, No One But You is not able to be pre-ordered. The titles that are and aren’t look similar to each other, but you can’t click Add to Shopping Cart for the one that aren’t.
Well… eventually you’ll be able to, so let’s just leave it and people can pre-order once they enable it.
Does anyone know what the deal is with Amaterasu translations? I really wanna play Rewrite Harvest Festa but I haven’t seen any progress in quite some time.
If you want a really vague statement: https://twitter.com/Ixrec/status/682657408406155264
Basically, “still alive.” How much money do you want to put on the patch being held for an eventual official release?
6 months between every chapter of Higurashi…so cruel Mangagamer…
Hey Decay just want to ask,
do you still update this page http://fuwanovel.net/novels?sort=translatedDate ?
just want to confirm with you.
Not currently, no. I’m not the one in charge of that, but I can tell you that we are planning some pretty big overhauls that will hopefully make our VN database useful again.
I be looking forward to it,
while your blog post is wonderful sometimes having picture and % works best if i want to skip reading.
Hi guys, seem there’s a new Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei complete fan patch. https://vndb.org/v69
It has a honorific version, one with translated honorific and one with honorific removed.
What really pisses me off about the Little Busters! TL is that the 18+ Ectascy version will never see the light of day in the west now.
White Album 2
So, it’s better to let those who loves WA2 and would like to play it, even with the bad translation (is it the translation itself or the bad English grammar that is the problem?), without the possibility to know the progress? I have played a few other VN’s, and it seems that many (most?) of the fan translated ones lack seriously in grammar.