It’s a slippery slope, my friends. Last week I didn’t manage to include “My Boss’ Wife is My Ex” in the header image due to severe scarcity of SFW images. Well, same goes for this week. We’ve got a release for Taimanin Yukikaze, a game we haven’t been tracking, and it’s very NSFW, so once again I’m throwing up my hands and giving up on featuring it up above. Instead, I’ve included my final pitch for you to buy Fata. Because it’s good, dammit.
Decay note – Calling all hackers, Loe of Loe Quality Translations is requesting your assistance for the following titles: 1 2 3. Anyone who is capable of creating a patch for this and wishes to help, be sure to get in touch with him.
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments.
The Short Version: Only the New Stuff
- 2236 A.D. (Sekai Project) – TL: 53.36% > 57.66%
- AstralAir – TL: 79.71% > 84.95%; and Edit: 79.71% > 84.95%
- Bishoujo Mangekyou -Norowareshi Densetsu no Shoujo – TL: 7/8 script files, 8th script is 16.4% > 37.7% completed; Edit: 9.2% > 9.9%
- Bokuten (MangaGamer) – Editing: 73.5% > 89%
- Chrono Clock (Sekai Project) – TL: 17.22%
- Clover Day’s – Izumi route: 50% > 100%
- Corona Blossom (Front Wing) – IndieGoGo campaign (Link) is 50% funded (as of 6/11/16)
- Da Capo 3 (MangaGamer) – TL: 94.7% > 97%; Edit: 91.3 > 95%
- Dare ka ga Koi Shita Hankagai (Sekai Project) – TL: 78.75% > 79%
- Hanasaki Work Spring – Ayano Route: 0% > 3%; Inori Route: 0% > 7%
- HaraKano – Readded to the list this week due to the resumption of translation. 3,000 lines of Kanna’s route translated.
- Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- (Sekai Project) – TL: 11.76%
- The House in Fata Morgana – A Requiem for Innocence (MangaGamer) – TL: 10% > 12%
- Irotoridori no Sekai – TL: 8% > 13% (6523/50663)
- Japanese School Life (Sekai Project) – TL: 40.42%
- Junketsu Megami-Sama –
- Koenchu! (Sekai Project) – In hiatus
- Koiseyo!! Imouto Banchou – Edit: 8% > 7%
- Kono Oozora Retranslation Project – Ageha’s route TL: ~40% > ~60% (link)
- Kuroinu (MangaGamer) – Chapter 1 TL: 70% > 78%
- Libra of the Vampire Princess (MiKandi Japan) – Mari’s Route TL: 25% > 50%
- Love Sweets (Moonstone) – New screenshots here
- Majikoi A (1 + 2) – A-1 Overall: 89.5% > 91.9%
- Memory’s Dogma (Sekai Project) – TL: 51.42% > 54.48%
- November Boy (Sekai Project) – In hiatus
- Nurse Love Addiction (Degica) – Announced! And it’s releasing June 16th! Nurse Love Addiction is an all-ages Yuri romance title from the Kogado Studio, the company behind Symphonic Rain (different team). Steam page.
- PacaPlus (Sekai Project) – In hiatus
- The Shadows of Pygmalion (MangaGamer) – Edit: 8%
- Steins;Gate 0 (PQube) – Coming to US/Europe PS4 and PSVita in 2016 (Link); Rice has a pre-order page (Link)
- Still, I Missed Her (Sekai Project) – TL: 2.04% > 2.29%
- Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi – TL: 32.5% > 33.0%
- Taishou x Alice (E2 Gaming) – Game page with assets and descriptions is live
- Tenshin Ranman (Sekai Project) – TL: 25.38%
- To Heart 2 – (6/11) New beta patch (link); Edit: 75% > 85%; Currently editing: Manaka, Sasara routes; Currently Proofreading: Tamaki route; Finished Proofreading: Konomi route
- Tsui Yuri – Total TL: 32% > 36%; Total Edit: 4% > 8%
- Wagamama High Spec (Sekai Project) – Demo fully translated, engine work in progress
- WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.03 (Sekai Project) – TL: 93.29% > 94.67%
Removed This Week
All the Game Updates:
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=151]
— Commentary Section —
「These guys don’t even tell me when they’ve scheduled the post any more… what a bunch of bakas.
(Look, it was alliterative. You don’t pass that shit up.)
Not really much I feel like commenting on this week, but maybe I can provide a rant for you. First of all though, let us congratulate ittaku / conman on releasing a new version of a certain *nix compression tool. Also the end of the TH2 project actually being in sight, but mostly that tool :P. Alright, fun time over.
If you’re going to promote something, wouldn’t you want to use the best assets you have? Shouldn’t you try your darndest to make it look perfect? WHY WOULD YOU USE SHITTY VERY EARLY BUILD SCREENSHOTS THAT MAKE ME DOUBT YOU? I swear, this happens way too often all fucking over. And then they say “Well, this is a very early version without editing, tlc and QC etc”. That is really, really stupid. Worse, it’s dishonest, because in a lot of cases the final product won’t actually be that much better. If you’re going to put out a prologue patch, have that shit fucking edited and proofread before people read it. The only real gain from demoing bad content is criticism from people telling you how terrible it is, which will hopefully make you realize how important QC and editing is. Is that really what you’re looking for? Jesus.
The reason I’m ranting is because of Degica’s teaser screens for Nurse Love Addiction. As you may be aware, one of the few things I actually care about is yuri games. I would have loved, loved to have a reasonably well translated yuri visual novel pop up out of nowhere with 1 week til launch, but if you’re going to give us THIS as promo material, what am I supposed to think? You’re not a fucking fan translation group, so you don’t have the amateur excuse. Please, please don’t do this, people. Edit your promotional material, get someone to proofread your 8 promotional Kickstarter pictures and notice that 4 of them have typos or grammar errors (hi several OELVN devs), make sure it all looks sparkly fucking clean before the eyes of the public fall on your dirty fucking text laundry.
Howdy, ya’ll. We’ve got both a surprise announcement, and a “surprise” release this week! The Taimanin Yukikaze project has actually been known for a little while, but we never really got around to adding it to the list. Or more accurately, I simply forgot about it. Never accuse us of hating console VNs when we also sleep on plenty of PC releases as well :p. At least we caught its release! And to be fair, the fewer people who report on Lilith translations the better, seeing how C&D-happy that company has been in the past.
The surprise announcement, Nurse Love Addiction, is at least a little bit more up my alley. I’ve actually heard surprisingly good things about its predecessor, which doesn’t seem directly related to this one in any way. Supposedly they actually paid a lot of attention to making it decently accurate to the actual lives of nurses while mixing in some saccharine romance. Sugary sweet on the outside, with some actual semi-serious hospital/nurse life drama hiding on the inside. Now, the game that’s actually being localized has some very different staff attached to it, but from the very little I heard about it (basically, people perusing the CGs, so take this with a huge grain of salt), this one seems to be similarly mixing in some more serious stuff beneath the veneer of sweetness. Probably don’t expect an utsuge or anything, but it at least seems to have some substance to it, which is nice.
I’m a little iffy on that $40 price tag, however. The Steam VN market is incredibly price-driven. Your average Steam VN buyer doesn’t seem to care too much about length and depth, only about the presence of cute girls. The art here is pretty good, but for merely some pictures of cute girls, $40 is too steep a price to pay for these people. That’s why games like Nekopara and the Sakura series does so well. That’s why Gaokao did great for a very poorly translated chinese dating sim. What I see as Nurse Love Addiction’s closest analog is Kindred Spirits, and that was $5 cheaper with an additional launch discount, and it was the culmination of months of hype and marketing. Kindred Spirits sold well, but I’m a bit less optimistic for this newcomer that was only announced a few days ago.
Oh, and one final note for this one, Degica claims that the Steam screenshots are from a very old, unpolished version of the translation. So if the somewhat dodgy screenshots made you hesitant, at least know that Degica claims the final version will be much better. I sure hope they’re right. I also hope they work on that UI. I feel like the font size and UI elements were made for high-DPI screens like the Vita’s, and they didn’t bother adjusting it for their PC port. That is easily one of the most obtrusive interfaces I’ve seen in a VN.
Speaking of bad interfaces, I managed to stop playing EU4, hurray! Instead, I’m playing Hearts of Iron 4, another Paradox strategy game. In the ten years I’ve been playing Paradox’s grand strategy games, I haven’t been as frustrated by an interface as I am by this one. I feel like Victoria’s UI was more intuitive. Now that’s a damning sentiment. The rest of the game is solid, though. And, yep, incredibly addicting. Although I totally neglected my air force and I’ve allowed France and Britain to gain complete air superiority over Germany, oops. Don’t worry, Dracu-Riot fans, I got some work done on that as well.
And that’s it for this week. Tune in next week for all the hot VN news coming out of E3! Wait.. really? It seems Sekai Project decided to attend E3 this year, lack of ESA membership be damned. So there’s no booth, but I guess they’re just running about the show floor, shaking hands, attending meetings, that kind of business stuff. With all of its public-facing spectacle, I sometimes forget that E3 is ostensibly still a trade show where plenty of business happens. Sekai Project will also be hosting a live stream during the show, and they’ve been teasing some announcements. I’m sure they’re saving the biggies for Anime Expo in a few weeks, but maybe they’ll be a nice surprise in store for us. We’ll be sure to keep you updated.
Have a good week, everybody.