Decay has, once again, proven his heroics: in addition to doing almost all of the tables for this week’s VNTS post, he’s spent a lot (lot!) of time working on a very special blog piece we hope to post this weekend. I’d like to give him a special shout out for all of this hard work, and I hope you will, too, down in the comments. Much < 3, Decay.
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments.
The Short Version: Only the New Stuff
- 2236 A.D. (Sekai Project) – TL: 50.11%
- Angel Beats! – Fan TL project has been dropped
- Angel Beats! (Official VisualArts) – ~50% translated!
- AstralAir – TL: 78.76% > 79.71%; and Edit: 78.76% > 79.71%
- Bishoujo Mangekyou -Norowareshi Densetsu no Shoujo- – QC: 0% > 3.1%
- Companion (Sekai Project) – TL: 100%
- Corona Blossom – IndieGoGo campaign now live; Releasing July 27th!
- Da Capo 3 (MangaGamer) – TL: 94.7%; Edit: 91.3
- Dare ka ga Koi Shita Hankagai (Sekai Project) – TL: 74.02% > 78.75%
- Funbag Fantasy (MangaGamer) – Fully translated and edited! In scripting
- Hanasaki Work Spring – Prologue: 92.86% > 100%
- Harmonia – delayed again, “we try to get it released this year.” (link)
- Homeless School Girl – RELEASED! Get the patch here
- The House in Fata Morgana – A Requiem for Innocence (MangaGamer) – TL: 10%; Releasing later this year
- Imouto Paradise! 2 (MangaGamer) – TL: 44% > 46%
Koiken Otome – QC: 86.71% > 100%UPDATE: This information was incorrect. It will be updated in next week’s VNTS.
- Koiseyo!! Imouto Banchou – TL: 8% > 9%; Edit: 7% > 8%
- Kuroinu (MangaGamer) – Chapter 1 TL: 70%
- Love, Guitars, and the Nashville Skyline (Sekai Project) – Announced! TL: 47.08%
- Maitetsu (Sekai Project) – TL: 12.98% > 15.68%
- Majikoi A (1 + 2) – A-1 Overall: 81% > 86.6%
- Memory’s Dogma (Sekai Project) – TL: 29.15% > 42.15%
- Muv-Luv Series – Muv-Luv Extra beta is no longer planned; Muv-Luv Extra and Unlimited are releasing in July. (link)
- My Boss’ Wife is My Ex! (MangaGamer) – Releasing May 31st! Pre-Order it here.
- Ne no Kami: The Two Princess Knights of Kyoto (Sekai Project) – IndieGoGo crowdfunding campaign launching on May 25th.
- Still, I Missed Her (Sekai Project) – TL: 1.58% > 1.82%
- The Shadows of Pygmalion (MangaGamer) – TL: 100%
- Tsui Yuri – Total TL: 22% > 25%
- WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.03 (Sekai Project) – TL: 82.49% > 86.52%
Removed This Week
- Rondo Duo (Fan TL: octotap (nsfw)) – RELEASED! Get the patch here (nsfw)
- So-Ra-No-Wo-To: Otome no Quintet (Fan TL: okaysubs) – RELEASED! Get the patch here
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=137]
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=141]
— Commentary Section —
「Uhh, okay, so, things happened last week. Damn it Verde, how do you even manage to stream otomege for 9 hours straight? Damn it fuwanovel skype karaoke, how dare thee ensnare me? …Well, whatever. I’m here now. Good thing, considering nobody else wrote much!
To begin with, allow me to shill for a an untranslated visual novel (alright, fine, you can skip the paragraph now). I’ve been reading Watashi no Real wa Juujitsu Shisugiteiru. Man, last night I read it for over 5 hours straight. Anyway, it’s an otomege where our protag-chan is simultaneously a high-status model student and a closet otaku who plays otomege herself. The boys are cute, it’s amusing, it’s surprisingly pretty, it’s free, and you really should give it a whirl already assuming you can into moonrunes. I say this as a guy.
While we didn’t have a lot of releases this week, the launches of the Corona Blossom and Ne no Kami Indiegogo campaigns certainly count as events. Both of them are using flexible funding, so I guess the trend of using IGG as a preorder system is still going strong. I’m still not sure how to feel about that all, but I suppose at least IGG won’t take away muh porn. I wonder if individual sales through IGG are actually more profitable than through Steam – Steam’s cut is 30%, while IGG takes around maybe, 10%? Not sure how much payment processors and whatever will strip from that. Admittedly running a crowdfunding campaign takes money in and of itself, but you kind of want to have some PR for your product in the first place.
As far as I can tell setting up your own shop takes a lot of work, especially if you’re going to be selling adult content. All in all, there certainly seem to be a lot of advantages to “crowdfunding preorders” so to speak. I think we’ll probably see more of these going forward, depending on how Corona Blossom and Ne no Kami do.
Angel Beats not only being announced for translation by VisualArt’s but also at 50% done is p. cool, though it did kinda kill the fan translation project. I actually read some of it myself and it’s been fun so far, plus the angel is totes cute (kek). Sekai Project’s Love, Guitars, and the Nashville Skyline is the Love, Guitars and Blue Skies I’ve written about a… few times earlier. It’s by the same company that made Atom Grrrl, though it doesn’t exactly look like it’s going for the same aesthetic. The only question now is which yuri road trip VN will be better – Highway Blossoms (our preview here), or KoiGuitar? Ganbatte, Raithfyre.
Other than that, Pygmalion hit 100% translated and Koiken Otome 100% QC’d. I’ve heard KoiOto that it’s kind of crappy and more or less all of its budget went into the art, but we’ll see how it’s received over here. Pygmalion… well, 100% translated is just another milestone really. We’ll see.
The one release this week, Homeless Joshi Gakusei, is actually quite interesting if perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea. A sad, brutal “visual poem” about a homeless schoolgirl’s life, eh? I know /I’m/ up for having my soul crushed any day. I was actually planning to read it in Japanese at some point before the project was announced. Random protip: you might be able to get a prettier font for it.
Anime Expo, also known as the E3 of visual novels, is coming up on the 1st of June. The announcements recently haven’t exactly taken the world by storm, so it’s all up to you to save us from despair now AX-kun! MG is teasing 3 new partners; presumably light, GIGA and eushully. Okay, so one’s probably chuable soft, but anyway. Sekai Project is… probably going to announce stuffsies as well and I probably should know more about that, and JAST is JAST. Maybe I should mention Aksys et al as well, but I don’t own any consoles, which kind of dampens my interest in them.
In closing, I recently stumbled upon the first VN Kickstarter by a Swedish team I’ve seen. It’s actually funding in SEK, which looks kind of funny on KS because we don’t write it as “kr7”, the crowns go after the number you damn American bastards. 48,000 SEK may look like a lot, but it’s actually “only” ~5.7k dollars. I honestly never got to reading the demo despite downloading it, but at least the concept doesn’t look too bad. Consider this mention an act of supreme Swedish Viking benevolence… or something.
On that note, I’m kind of tired and some Midsomer Murders episode I’ve probably seen already just started airing. I’m a bit tempted to watch… as good a time as any to end a post, I guess :P」
Decay’s Musings[Decay has worked an insane amount of hours this week on blog content, including the tables for this week’s VNTS, and is (hopefully) getting some much-deserved rest. Look forward to his commentary next week, and please leave him some lovin’ comments for all his hard work! – Tay]
Have a good week, everybody.