Anime Central (2016) Announcements
- Official Release Planned (!): Angel Beats
- (UPDATE 05/21/2016 06:15 PM EST) Official Release Planned: Rewrite+ (Remember: Rewrite+ also contains harvest festa!)
- New Project: Funbag Fantasy
- New Project: The House in Fata Morgana – A Requiem for Innocence (Releasing later this year.)
- Hardcopy: Kara no Shojo – The Second Episode (releasing July 1st, pre-order here)
- Hardcopy: euphoria (releasing July 1st, pre-order here)
- Hardcopy and WallScroll: euphoria (releasing July 1st, pre-order here)
- Hardcopy: Kindred Spirits on the Roof (releasing July 1st, pre-order here)
- Hardcopy: Beat Blades Haruka (releasing July 1st, pre-order here)
- New Project: 2236 A.D. (Both adult and all-ages versions are planned.)
- New Project: MAGICAL×SPIRAL, a doujin platformer, announced
Also, since I’m the guy writing the post (my words, my rules!), I’m going to shamelessly plug The House in Fata Morgana, again. It’s so good. Really worth considering. (Links: Game-only, and Game + Soundtrack)
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments.
The Short Version: Only the New Stuff
- 2236 A.D. (Sekai Project) – Announced! Both adult and all-ages versions are planned.
- Angel Beats (VisualArts/Key) – Official English release planned
- AstralAir – TL: 77.16% > 78.76%; and Edit: 77.16% > 78.76%
- Dare ka ga Koi Shita Hankagai (Sekai Project) – TL: 67.04% > 74.02%
- Dracu-Riot! – Tldr: Still roughly on track to meet the 2 month estimate, though likely to be at the end of that timetable. You should read the full update, here.
- Eden of Grisaia (Sekai Project) – TL: 35%
- Fate/Hollow Ataraxia Voice Porting Project – Rough ETA of weeks to months (link).
- Free Friends (MangaGamer) – Hardcopy version released!
- Funbag Fantasy (MangaGamer) – Announced!
- Highway Blossoms (Sekai Project) – Releasing June 24th!
- Higurashi (Retranslation) (MangaGamer) – Chapter 3: Releasing June 24th!
- Homeless School Girl – Added to the list this week. TL: 100%; TLC:50%; QC:30%; Partial Patch (30%) released! Get the link here.
- The House in Fata Morgana – A Requiem for Innocence (MangaGamer) – Announced! Releasing later this year.
- Kimi ga Nozomu Eien – Evan’s Kimi Nozo Side-Projects Site: http://kiminozo.life/. He’s got interesting stuff, such as an audio drama CD, translated there
- Koiken Otome – Edit: 88.90% > 100%; QC: 86.39% > 86.71%
- The Leisure of Grisaia (Front Wing) – Released! Get it on Steam.
- Maitetsu (Sekai Project) – TL: 12.96% > 12.98%
- Majo Koi Nikki – Added to the list this week. Scenario texts have been extracted; English translation demo has been posted on YouTube
- Memory’s Dogma (Sekai Project) – TL: 15.54% > 29.15%
- Muv-Luv Series – Muv-Luv Extra beta may or may not be happening anymore (link). Muv-Luv Extra and Unlimited are releasing some time next month!
- Ne no Kami: The Two Princess Knights of Kyoto (Sekai Project) – IndieGoGo crowdfunding campaign launching on May 25th.
- Shin Koihime Musou – Character Events TL: 96.5% > 100%; Battle: 34%; Total TL: 73% > 75%
- Still, I Missed Her (Sekai Project) – TL: 1.41% > 1.58%
- To Heart 2 – Menus and icons translated and re-inserted
- Tsui Yuri – Total TL: 13% > 22%
- Umineko When They Cry (MangaGamer) – Chapters 1 – 4: Releasing July 8th!
- WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.03 (Sekai Project) – TL: 78.83% > 82.49%
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=132]
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=136]
— Commentary Section —
Zaka Zaka. burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry
– William Blake (Songs of Innocence and of Experience)
Ahh… convention season. It’s always fun to catch all of the news from the conventions as they happen, even when they aren’t exactly what you expect. MangaGamer teased six announcements, and delivered us four hard copies and one announcement that was already spoiled by them earlier in the week. Funbag Fantasy is interesting, though. Dat title, for real. Known as Kyonyuu Fantasy in Japan (basically, Big Titty Fantasy), it’s actually an extremely popular nukige highly rated by Japanese and western fans alike. I’d say it’s one of the most highly rated nukige ever. I’m not really into the subject matter so I’m definitely giving it a pass, but you can still expect this thing to top the MangaGamer charts just like Boob Wars did. The nukige buyers love their funbags.
I was hoping for a bit more though, to be perfectly honest. MangaGamer has a knack for getting people’s expectations up, then letting them down. I’ve seen a fair amount of negative reaction to the way they hyped up the six announcements and only had one actual new VN announcement and another semi-new VN announcement. There’s something to be said here about fan entitlement and all that, but the fact of the matter is that people are bound to get disappointed when you aren’t giving them what they want, so it’s probably better for everyone involved if you actually set their expectations accordingly. Maybe just say “four hard copies and two new VN announcements!” next time instead of “six new announcements”? Is the hype buildup by keeping everything a super ultra secret really worth it if it only results in disappointment from a large portion of your fan base?
Sekai Project announced the most interesting new VN of the show, I feel. 2236 looks really unique, and although it’s apparently not mind blowing or anything, it seems pretty interesting. It’s not some mindless moe-fest, so I expect it to sell rather poorly, and so does SP boss dovac. But still, color me interested. I’ll definitely be giving it a shot when it comes out.
VisualArts also “announced” Angel Beats. To be clear about this one, they didn’t even announce it during the main panel, but instead their Q&A session after someone asked about it. And they said it was planned. When and how are still mysteries, perhaps even to VA. This feels much more like a “yeah, we’re probably going to do this at some point” than a proper announcement, so take that as you will. That said, I’ve always thought this was inevitable. Some apparently had different feelings about the possible timetable than others, and the current fan translators working on their own patch for it have suddenly been put into a tough spot. My heart goes out to them, but also wasn’t this kind of expected?
To be perfectly frank, I was always skeptical on the usefulness of such a project, and now that’s debate is being brought into the forefront with this news. It’s a tough spot for them, either they abandon the project now and feel that the last few months have been all for naught, or they keep going and risk making their work redundant in very short order, again making it essentially all for naught, just so they can please the especially impatient in the fan community. Or worst case scenario, they risk getting served a Cease and Desist order. I hope those guys can find a solution that everyone on the team is happy with.
In closing, buy The House in Fata Morgana. We at Fuwanovel are going to be hardcore shills for this one for quite a while. It seems everyone on the staff is loving it so far. I’ve only played it for an hour so I can’t make any real judgements, but it ain’t too bad if I say so myself. SolidBatman will be writing a review for it, and according to him it’s basically the best thing ever. You’re about to see the extremely rare sight of a zero-salt SolidBatman in the wild. This kind of thing only happens once in a lifetime, so don’t pass up the chance to witness it when it happens. And buy Fata Morgana, god dangit. It seems to basically be bombing right now, and that’s a crying shame.
That’s all for me, see you again next week!
(Paste commentary here). And yes, I did adapt William Blake for Zaka. We’re a classy bunch over here on the VNTS team.
Have a good week, everybody.