It’s happening! The House in Fata Morgana is finally out! What are you doing reading this? Go play this game! (Full disclosure: I’ve been looking forward to this release for a long time, so I’m a bit hyper over the whole thing.) Also, just want to give big thanks to Decay for helping out last night, and for his unending patience! I don’t think I could do these posts without you, anymore : P. Also #2: another Otome game released this week on Steam. Those Dogenzaka Lab folks have really been working hard!
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments.
The Short Version:
Only the New Stuff
- Amagami – TL: 68.70% > 74.8%; Edit: 19.5% > 20.6%
- Angel Beats! -1st beat – TL: 42.7% >43.5%
- AstralAir – TL: 76.06% > 77.16%; Edit: 76.06% > 77.16%
- Bishoujo Mangekyou -Norowareshi Densetsu no Shoujo – TL: 7/8 script files; Edit: 9.2%;
- Bokuten (MangaGamer) – Translation: 92% > 100%
- Da Capo 3 (MangaGamer) – TL: 90% > 92.5%; Edit: 83.4% > 87.5
- Dare ka ga Koi Shita Hankagai (Sekai Project) – TL: 64.24% > 67.04%
- Hanasaki Work Spring – Added to the list this week; Prologue: 92.86%; Hikari Route: 0%; Ayano Route: 0%; Inori Route: 0%; Wakaba Route: 0%; Nonoka Route: 0%; Kanna Route: 0%;
- The House in Fata Morgana (MangaGamer) – RELEASED! Buy it on MangaGamer here, or the Steam version here!
- Just Deserts (Sekai Project) – Added to the list this week; Announced today; check out the Sekai page and the official game page; Coming in 2016
- Kimi ga Nozomu Eien – Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: Drama Theater vol. 3 – Suzumiya Akane – audio drama CD translated and released! Check it out here.
- Koiseyo!! Imouto Banchou – TL: 7% > 8%; Edit: 6% > 7%
- Kuroinu (MangaGamer) – Chapter 1 TL: 55% > 63%
- Kurukuru Fanatic – TL: 87.5% > 100%
- The Leisure of Grisaia (Front Wing) – Announced! Releasing on May 18th! Steam page. The Leisure of Grisaia is one of two short mini-VNs released with the Grisaia anime Blu Ray in Japan. It will be just $3.
- Libra of the Vampire Princess – Mari’s Route TL: 0% > 25%
- Maitetsu (Sekai Project) – TL: 12.96% > 12.98%
- Memory’s Dogma (Sekai Project) – TL: 13.51% > 15.54%
- (Otome!) My Secret Pets! – Released! Buy it on Steam here.
- MYTH (ManagGamer) – In Scripting
- Ne no Kami: The Two Princess Knights of Kyoto (Sekai Project) – TL: 45.48% > 63.31%
- Princess Evangile W Happiness (MangaGamer) – Edit: 17.3% > 22%
- The Shadows of Pygmalion (MangaGamer) – TL: 86.73% > 97%
- Still, I Missed Her (Sekai Project) – TL: 1.32% > 1.41%
- Tsui Yuri – 5/14/16 – Added to the list this week;
Opening: TL: 100%; Edit: 100%, QC: 0%;
Common: TL: 45%, Edit: 4%, QC: 0%;
Ichika: TL: 0%; Edit: 0%; QC: 0%;
Futaba: TL: 0%; Edit: 0%; QC: 0%;
Total: TL: 13%; Edit: 2%; QC: 0%;
- WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.03 (Sekai Project) – TL: 71.54% > 78.83%
- The House in Fata Morgana (MangaGamer) – RELEASED! Buy it on MangaGamer here
- (Otome!) My Secret Pets! – Released! Buy it on Steam here.
Removed from the list this week
- The Men of Yoshiwara Ohigya – Released on Steam
- Lucid9: Inciting Incident (Sekai Project) – Released on Steam
- Starlight Vega (Sekai Project) – Released on Steam
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=127]
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=131]
— Commentary Section —
「I never said how long the resting period would be! Turns out it was two weeks this time. Deccy and Tay were somewhat late in preparing the post, so I actually have an excuse for being late today – also, I got no new post notification mail. Weird.
To begin with, allow me to recommend Lucid9 yet again as it leaves our list. It’s a p. good free mystery visual novel, and we’re not exactly drowning in those.
At last, the bokuten tl hath finished. Deccy talks about it being darker still than the (sometimes excellent) Kira Kira below, but I’m not sure if he got across what I’ve heard: it’s a downright utsuge. I wonder whether or not I’d enjoy that… perhaps :P. Narcissu was nice, but I’m not sure if I consider the ending that bad.
Just Deserts is a dating sim, not a visual novel. I’m not sure why it’s on the list, but I don’t write it. Anyway, I’m sure some of you will be interested. Will it top HuniePop though? Probably not, unless you hated huniepop, in which case probably yes.
Front Wing continues its own translation efforts with another Grisaia side story. Whether or not their translation will be any good by now remains to be seen.
Kurukuru Fanatic is a project you probably know nothing about—unless you’re a yandere fanatic, in which case you might have been following the translation with bated breath. It’s now fully translated, and might actually not be completely terrible. We’ll see.
It’s good to have an update on MYTH. Scripting times tend to vary wildly (just look at how long Himawari is taking, lol), but hopefully MG can get this one released soon (no trademark infringement intended).
I haven’t seen anything on Ne no Kami for a while. It’s a yuri VN that also has some fantasy-y action parts, though from what I can tell browsing EGS it’s mostly focused on the romance… which is fine, I guess. Scores are at least decent, so it’s something to look forward to if you’re a yuri fan.
Pygmalion’s translation is almost finished. I’ve seen other translations stop at 97% – I believe the MYTH’s translation did – so I wonder if that’s code for the translators wanting to go through some tough spots in the writing that they skipped through in the original pass. Pygmalion is a chuuni VN, so it might have some tricky-to-translate parts. As for the actual novel, it’s by Propeller, who made Ayakashibito and Tokyo Babel among others. The vndb discussions have one user state their disappointment with it in comparison to Tokyo Babel, though they still considered it good; another praises it, considering it better than even Tokyo Babel… I wonder what side of the fence I’ll be on, lol. Like Tokyo Babel there’s no porn, so there’s sure to be a Steam release. Like Tokyo Babel, it might not get a lot of sales. RIP in pepperoni chuunige localizations? T_T
Speaking in potentially RIP’t localizations: really, do give Fata Morgana a try. There’s a fairly long demo out to help you decide.」
Hello, everyone! This week we have a doozy of a release. The House in Fata Morgana is not the a VN you’ve seen a ton of clamor for, but it is still a very highly acclaimed one nonetheless, and it seems like the entire industry is celebrating its release. Even Sekai Project, MG’s chief competitor, is talking about it. And Alice in Dissonance, the devs behind the Fault series, posted some words about Fata Morgana’s release on MG’s blog, including some cool fan art from their artist. It’s heartening to see everyone come together to celebrate this VN’s release. By all accounts, it may be one of the best titles MangaGamer has ever released.
They’re also going to need that help. To be frank, I’m not very optimistic on Fata Morgana’s sales potential. I really hope it does great like it deserves, but something tells me that it will be a little too unique, and a bit too dark for it to catch on with the general audience. The art style isn’t cutesy or “moe,” it doesn’t tell any simple romance stories, and there’s no porn or even ecchi, which altogether makes a strong recipe for apathy. But it really does look great, and I’ve heard enough recent praise for it from people I trust that it has skyrocketed up to the top of my backlog. I implore any of you who are not immediately grabbed by it to check out the demo and see for yourself. It costs nothing to just give it a shot.
Aside from that, Bokuten is finally fully translated, hurrah! Although they aren’t the most popular VNs out there, I’m a fan of Overdrive’s stuff. Edelweiss was kinda meh, but Kira Kira, Deardrops, and Cho Dengeki Stryker were all a lot of fun. Overdrive played with some darker themes in Kira Kira, and it seems like they amped that up even a bit further in Bokuten, which apparently gets pretty dark. As a fan of the light-hearted adventures that Kira Kira and Deardrops portrayed, but also of the darker stuff in Kira Kira, I wonder what I’ll think of Bokuten.
World End Economica ep 3 has also been making solid progress. I’m glad that they got over that hump and have finally started getting that one done. I haven’t played the other WEE episodes, but I was planning on playing all three at once when the entire trilogy was released. I’m a fan of Spice and Wolf, and WEE’s concept seems pretty interesting to me. I’m definitely looking forward to the day I can finally play them all.
Well, that’s it from me this week. Take it easy, ya’ll.
Lots of fun things to check out this week. Here are my favorites:
- Release: The House in Fata Morgana
- Audio Drama Release: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: Drama Theater vol. 3 – Suzumiya Akane – audio drama CD was released by the TL team. Check it out here.
- Announcement: The Leisure of Grisaia, a short mini-VN, is coming to Steam
- Release: My Secret Pets!, another Otome game, is out. While I don’t often play Otome games, I do try and spread the word as much as I can.
- Update: Wow, Da Capo 3 (MangaGamer) and Amagami (Ni Shi Shi Fan TL) both got updates this week! Feels so rare : D
I’m not feeling very well, so that’s all for this week. Have a good week, everybody.