Subscribe to email updates by signing up on this page. You’ll get an email each time a post goes up on the blog (though you can go into your account settings and customize it to only email you VNTS updates)
Behold! A new design to our VNTS pages! Also — new blog sidebars. Please let us know what you think of the new VNTS format! We’ll be putting out a formal survey, soon, but in the meantime please drop us a comment and share your thoughts on the new tables and the collapsible format.
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments. Any new updates are marked by orange text.
The Short Version:
Only the New Stuff
- Black Wolves Saga – Potential legal trouble with their Starry Sky In Summer has put Black Wolves Saga and Ken ga Kimi on semi-hiatus status. (Link)
- Bokuten (MangaGamer) – TL: 75.2%, Edit 42.21%
- Bunny Black 2 – Translation finished, though it still needs editing and image translations (Aroduc is recruiting help for images).
- Corpse Party BloodCovered – PC Version coming from XSEED Games
- Da Capo 3 (MangaGamer) – TL: 75%, Edit 68.8%
- Free Friends 2 (MangaGamer) – Now available for pre-order! Out: January 26th.
- The House in Fata Morgana (MangaGamer) – Translation: 98% (main scenario complete!); Editing: 20%
- Irotoridori no Sekai – Project is on hold to focus on finishing the SakuSaku project up. Looking for a Webdesigner and Translator for the team (link).
- Ken ga Kimi – (See note up at Black Wolves Saga)
- Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki (Koisaku) – Project now at 100% TL, 84% Edit, 65% QC
- Labyrinth of Grisaia – Sekai Project posted another update to their Kickstarter. Physical goods for the first Grisaia are shipping soon, and translation for Labyrinth is at 75%! (link)
- MYTH (MangaGamer) – TL now at 93.1%
- Oreimo Tsuzuku (Disc 2) – Solid progress! Great job, team! TL:: 100%; TLC: 89.2%; Edit: 75.4. Needs more volunteers!
- OZMAFIA!! (MangaGamer) – TL: 93%; Edit: 22.34%
- Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition (Sekai Project) – Kickstarter is live!
- The Shadows of Pygmalion – (MangaGamer) – TL: 4%
- Sonicomi (JAST) – Pre-Orders for both Regular and Collectors’ Editions are now live! (Link)
- Starry Sky ~in Summer~ – Cancelled (See note up with Black Wolves Saga)
- Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi – TL: 22%
- Supipara (Ch 1) (MangaGamer) – Preparing to enter beta testing
- Tokyo Babel (MangaGamer) – Edit: 58%
- Utawarerumono Portable – Progress on several fronts
- Witch’s Garden – Bump up to TL: 66.44%
- Zero Time Dilemma – It’s a thing thanks to Aksys Games
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=38]
Sekai Project (Update Page)
Sekai’s tracking page is down and I haven’t had the time to keep up with their twitter feed. I’m going to post the same ole table, and hopefully we can get it updated for next time.
In the meantime… Critical Mission Start! Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition Kickstarter is now live![wpdatatable id=41]
- Here’s a handy link to sort Sekai Project’s Steam releases by release date: link
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=42]
— Commentary Section —
Welp, we went and did this. I sure hope people like it, because Tay worked his ass off on this new format. It seems like a simple enough change, but you’d be surprised at how time consuming these changes can be. There’s no easy button to just instantly transform the format or convert the data we had. Today’s update to the VNTS was the result of many long hours of research, experimentation and testing, features implementation, manual data entry, tweaking, and so forth. And this is in the midst of a serious forums database issue he worked hard to resolve. Everyone please give Tay a round of applause for his dedication!
Please do give us your feedback on what you think of this change. We actually have several ways we can implement this feature and we need your input on what you would like most. Are the collapsable tables good? Annoying? What you like pages to make them more compact? We thought about that and tested it, but came to the conclusion that browsing through pages to find what you want would be a hassle. What about the tables themselves? We now have a special field to demark whether or not the entry has been updated or not. Is this better or worse than the orange highlight text we previously used? All of these things can be changed easily enough. Any other feedback is fair game as well.
Well, back to visual novels, I’m kind of tired of them! Just for the moment, though. After reviewing euphoria, testing Noble Works, reviewing Gahkthun (all three with time limits, fun!), and playing bits and pieces of other things in between, I sort of burnt myself out. I think instead I’ll be spending the next month or two before the first major VN release of the year to finish The Witcher 3, MGS5, Dark Souls 2, and to maybe put more time into Valkyria Chronicles which I picked up a few months ago and played for only a couple hours. Oh shit, and XCOM 2 is out in a month? I’m definitely going to try that.
I wonder what the first VN to bring me back in will be. Hopefully there’s something before Root Double in March. Let’s consult my list of VNs I expect get released in 2016. Bunny Black 2 and Beat Blades Haruka may be among the first major VNs released this year, but I don’t think I’ll be playing those. BB1 didn’t really hook me, and BBH doesn’t seem like my kind of thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if Aokana releases in the next two or so months and that would certainly do the trick for me. Maybe SakuSaku will bring me back? I don’t love that VN but it’s interesting enough to read. And it’s definitely coming out soon. Who knows! This year is sounding really exciting for me, I feel like a 13 year old ogling the Dreamcast in issues of EGM again. “Woah, look at how real that orca looks, Sonic is gonna be awesome!” 2016 is going to be awesome guys, and not at all a disappointment like the Dreamcast was, I swear!
It’s been a long day. And when I say long day, I basically mean long two days melded into one as I troubleshooted damage to- and recovery of- the Fuwanovel forums. My brain is fried and my back hurts. But! The forums are back, I successfully set up the new VNTS plugin (six hours! SIX HOURS!), and nobody died.
I was very sad to hear about the Golden Spirit team’s potential legal issues. As much as their Tumblr drives me nuts with the auto-play music, they’re definitely one of my favorite TL groups (they’re fun to cover in these posts) and didn’t deserve this. I really hope they can get it sorted out. (Link to their announcement)
I’m sick. My wife is sick. My cats are sick. The neighbors are sick. The in-laws are sick. What about the rest of you out in the world? Are you sick, too? I forgot how miserable one can feel with flu-like symptoms…
My brain is fried. I really want to write more — there’s a lot to say — but I’m wiped. Have a nice week, everybody.
This week’s header image is from Sonicomi, which is now available for pre-order.