Subscribe to email updates by signing up on this page. You’ll get an email each time a post goes up on the blog (though you can go into your account settings and customize it to only email you VNTS updates)
Friends! Sisters! Brothers! Comrades! The time has come to take our VNTS Feedback Survey! This survey is very important to us. This is your best chance to influence the eternal destiny of these weekly VNTS posts! Please spend a few quick minutes and tell us what you think!
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments. Any new updates are marked by orange text.
The Short Version:
Only the New Stuff
- AstralAir – TL bump up to 67.44%!
- Ayakashi Gohan! – Overall: ~58%. Project will significantly slow down in near future and updates will be rare. Project isn’t dropped, though. Also, looking for TL help. Read more here.
- Bunny Black 2 – 1.01 English Patch released! Get it here. Congrats on the accomplishment, Aroduc!
- Da Capo 3 (MangaGamer) – Translation: 75.3%; Editing: 74.3%
- Eien no Aselia (JAST) – Added to the list, Extra content coding, Preparing Steam Greenlight
- Flowers (JAST) – In editing, at 50%.
- Free Friends 2 (MangaGamer) – Released! Check out the game and buy it here. Congrats to MangaGamer and the team!
- Hara Miko Shimai – Patch released! Get it (and more info, like a UI guide) here. Congrats to Loe Quality TL for the accomplishment!
- No One But You – Released! Buy it here!
- Ken ga Kimi (and other Golden Spirit Projects) – Slator wrote an article about the group’s predicament.
- Seinarukana (JAST) – Pre-orders are up, check it out here! Website complete, preparing preorder pages
- Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi – TL bump to 25.3%%
- Sweet Pool – “The initial translation check and proofreading were all completed about a month or two ago. Our TLC superstar leo wanted to go over the translation and cdreaiton and i wished to do a final proofread too. A lot of decisions on particular translations/spellings/grammar etc were made late in the scripts, so we are quickly fixing up a few things. Hopefully this process won’t take too long and we can move onto beta testing soon.” (Link)
- To Heart 2 – TL: 100%; Edit: 55%;
- Wish Tale of the Sixteenth Night – Total Progress: 50.73%
- Witch’s Garden – TL: 68.82% (46,251/67,201); Edit: 3.71% (2,496/67,201); (way to go, team!)
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=53]
MangaGamer (Updates)[wpdatatable id=55]
Sekai Project (Update Page)
1/30/2016 – We enter into the FOURTH week of Sekai’s tracker being down. The end has come. It has been nice knowing all of you, but alack, we are all lost. In the last hours left to us, consider picking up something they published like No One But You released (Buy it here).
… Can somebody get this fixed? Please?
The following table remains unchanged this week. Ignore the “New” markers — they’re incorrect.[wpdatatable id=51]
- Here’s a handy link to sort Sekai Project’s Steam releases by release date: link
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=56]
— Commentary Section —
「火、gれえチンgs、案dへっぉ；ティs位s坂ｓぺあきんｇ。。。 <— tfw you wrong input mode, anyway hello
…Flowers at 50% edited is nice. Being a Yuri VN, it reminds me of MG’s imminent-ish release of Kindred Spirits on the 12th. Unlike Flowers, which seemed to get somewhat mixed reviews, Yuri Ghosts has been universally well received from what I can find. I’m v. interested in it and may even actually read it when it comes out, despite having succumbed to the usual not-actually-reading-things state that many others will know all too well.
You have to wonder if Seinarukana’s release was delayed so a Steam version could be made. On one hand, I personally don’t care about it, on the other, delays should be business as usual for those who know JAST, and on the third ha — wait a minute, I think I messed up that idiom. And have three hands. Apologies to all parties involved.
I picked up Bunny Black and played it for a bit back when it was released. I never even defeated the first boss, mostly because holy shit the grinding in that game. It was still quite fun, but what really messed with me was that on my admittedly terrible faptop, animations took literal aeons to complete. I did like the porn though, which may reflect poorly upon me…
…It’s nice to see solid progress if slowish progress from the WISH project. It looks like they’re probably having trouble with the Spanish translation, though, as it’s still at 501 lines translated total. Wonder what happened there…
Oh, and I’m very happy to see the Root Double Kickstarter looking up. While I’m not as absolutely certain that it will reach its goal as some people seem to be at the moment, I do consider it fairly likely. It’s certainly looking more likely than it was a few days ago.
I joined in on recording for a FuwaFM podcast (note: not the Fuwacast) episode the other day; it was quite fun. It’ll probably take ages for whoever’s responsible for editing it together to put it up though, so rip in oh well there’s a backlog of them anyway.
Personally, I’m sleep deprived and have just watched 12 episodes of Ergo Proxy. I take no responsibility for anything that I have just written. As a final life tip, be aware that if you try to fry basmati rice it will cling together hard in the final stages and leave you with more a mass of rice clumps than individual grains. It still tastes ok, though.」
AT LONG LAST I’M FREE! Read my No One But You review here. I’ve occupied the last two weeks of the commentary with NOBY talk so that will be it for this week.
I’m happy that Root Double’s kickstarter is turning out well. SP has made some smart corrections to their pledge tiers and the amount of money being pledged to it has soared. It’s all but guaranteed to be a success, and it’s hard to believe that it will only be a month or two before we have it in our hands. It has quickly jumped to near the top of my most anticipated upcoming releases. Props to the Lemnisca team for finishing it so quickly.
Meanwhile Bunny Black 2 is out! That happened pretty quickly. I think we saw multiple 4,000 line weeks in a row from Aroduc. How is that even possible? The man can really crank out a project once he sets his mind to it. Granted, from what I’ve played of BB1, those lines don’t seem particularly complicated, but that’s still some serious skills. As for the game itself, I dunno. I wasn’t a very big fan of BB1, I never finished it. I thought parts of it were okay, but halfway through I just sort of got burnt out. I know some other people who were into it, though, so I’m glad we’re getting the sequel. I hope Aroduc is able to iron out the kinks holding back BB3’s release.
Also, I just want to say The Witness is good. Really good. Yeah it has nothing to do with VNs or this site, I just want to say it. For those unaware, the game is about mazes. And philosophy, but mainly mazes. And grids, which you navigate in a maze-like manner. And an incredibly gorgeous open world, more beautiful than any other game world I’ve ever seen. People may see all of the mazes and dismiss the game as overly simple, yet it is one of the most clever and surprising puzzle games I have ever played. Perhaps the thing I like most about it is the way it obfuscates the rules of the puzzles and then merges the learning process into the main gameplay. It reminds you of just how fun the simple act of learning can be. It’s a pretty phenomenal game, try it out if you like puzzlers.
Hi. Whatever I have to say is secondary to convincing you to take our feedback survey. So. If you are reading these words right now — yes, you! — please click the following button if you haven’t already taken the survey.
So. Hi, everybody. Let’s recap some of the more notable news of the week:
- Good news: Seinarukana (JAST) – Pre-orders are up, check it out here!
- Good news: Bunny Black 2 – 1.01 English Patch released! Get it here.
- Good news: Free Friends 2 (MangaGamer) – Released! Get it here. (It’s NSFW)
- Good news: Hara Miko Shimai – Patch released! Get it (and more info, like a UI guide) here.
- Unfortunate news: Ayakashi Gohan! – The program is about to go into super-turtle mode and fall off the radar a bit. The project hasn’t been dropped, but we can expect lots and lots of radio silence. More info in their post, here.
- Unfortunate news: Ken ga Kimi (and other Golden Spirit Projects) – Slator wrote an article about the group’s predicament.
Whirlwind impressions: Loe’s HaraMiko patch caught me off guard, as did the Seinarukana pre-order which I didn’t think would be available, yet. Decay rightly said that Aroduc’s recent TL pace has been pretty impressive. I haven’t played either of the Bunny Black games, but from what I’m hearing BB2 is a good patch and a good time. Some of the nicest people I’ve met in the fan TL scene are those working on Ayakashi Gohan, and it makes me sad to hear the project is dealing with some setbacks. I wrote on their blog, and I’ll repeat it here, that I’m here if there’s anything I can do to help. Really nice people.
Nay is helping me code a beautiful VNTS database editor which, admittedly, none of the readers will ever see, but which I think you could appreciate. These posts used to take 45 or so minutes to make back in the early days. Now, however, they’re multi-hour affairs, and kinda brutal due to a convoluted workflow. Having a dedicated database editor would save us both time and ibuprofen (oh, the headaches!), and I’m really looking forward to seeing how the tool turns out.
Fuwa news: still collecting bids for re-doing the front site. Forums global mods are getting their permissions opened up a bit so that they aren’t bottlenecked by me for many use cases. Surveys should go out this weekend. Meaty community updates will follow after that.
Have a good week, everybody.
– Tay[This week’s header image is from the three release games: Bunny Black 2, Free Friends 2, and Hara Miko Shimai.]