Subscribe to email updates by signing up on this page. You’ll get an email each time a post goes up on the blog (though you can go into your account settings and customize it to only email you VNTS updates)
Hey there, everybody, welcome back to this week’s episode of Fuwanovel’s Visual Novel Translation Status (VNTS) show. This week we’re featuring Unwonted Studio’s No One But You which comes out this coming Tuesday (19 Jan 2016). Also, shirts. Shirts are important. It turns out that the Western US is freezing cold all of the time, and one does not simply un-shirt without risking prompt and merciless death. It’s, like, 13º (F) all the time here. What about you? Is it freezing where you live?
Anyway! Welcome to our weekly VNTS (Visual Novel Translation Status) series, in which we track visual novel translation updates in-house (we don’t rely on /jp/ posts on 4ch, for example) and post it for your enlightenment and enjoyment each Saturday. If you find any errors, or you think a project is missing from this list, please let me know in the comments. Any new updates are marked by orange text.
The Short Version:
Only the New Stuff
- Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm (Aokana) – Wow. Way to go, Ren! Rika’s Route – Complete! (TL/Edits), Extra Material – Complete! (TL/Edits), and already started on second Pass!
- AstralAir – TL: 65.43% (42,450 / 64,88) (this is from last week-ish, they haven’t updated at the time of writing this (~2 AM EST))
- Kindred Spirits On The Roof (MangaGamer) – Pre-Order now Available! Game goes on sale Feb 12, 2016
- Libra of the Vampire Princess – Kickstarter at the time of writing: $139,584 pledged of $125,000 goal with 3 days to go!
- Majikoi A – Work on A-2 is beginning, while A-1 has hit some bumps that we’ll work out eventually (link)
- No One But You – An upcoming VN by our friends over at Unwonted Studios comes out next week! Pre-Order it here
- Sonicomi (JAST) – Game site had a few small updates (link)
- SonoHana 10 – Removed from the list (it was released a while ago). Patch: link
- Starry Sky ~in Summer~ – Removed from the list this week. Project has been dropped due to potential legal conflicts. More info in this post.
- Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi – TL: 22.7%
- The Kittens of our House (Sekai Project) – Added to the list this week
- Wish – Tale of the Sixteenth Night – Total Progress: 38.03%
- Witch’s Garden – TL bump up to TL: 66.91% (44965/67201);
All the Game Updates:
Fan Translation Projects[wpdatatable id=43]
MangaGamer (Updates)[wpdatatable id=45]
Sekai Project (Update Page)
1/15/2016 – Once again I have to report that Sekai’s tracking page is down and I don’t have the latest information about their projects. They sent out an email this week with the following games highlighted:
- No One But You – An upcoming VN by our friends over at Unwonted Studios (Pre-Order it here!)
- Strawberry Vinegar – Slice of life VN which came out last week (Steam Page)
- Remember that Critical Mission Start! Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition Kickstarter is ongoing (at the time of writing it was $49,319 pledged of $135,000 goal with 19 days to go)
- Here’s a handy link to sort Sekai Project’s Steam releases by release date: link
Other Projects[wpdatatable id=47]
— Commentary Section —
Decay’s VN log of 2016: *fart*
Okay, so actually I’m going to come back from my hiatus a little bit sooner than anticipated to play No One But You. It’s supposedly much shorter than I was anticipating, and shorter than what the developers at first made it seem like it was going to be. But short enough for me to finish in a day or so. I don’t really know what to expect from it. It’s a multi-route story in less than ten hours, though, I hope it doesn’t feel too rushed.
I feel like too many OELVN creators aim bigger than they’re capable of achieving. In most endeavors, you’re encouraged to shoot for the stars, but in game development, even VN development, this is a bad strategy. Money makes the industry go ’round, and it’s hard for small-time devs to get the money needed for the grand ideas in their heads. Instead of going for those ideas anyways and falling short, they’re better served sticking to projects that their budgets are suited to. I wonder if Unwonted Studios understands this. Well, deep down inside I’m the overly optimistic type, so I’ll hold out hope for NOBY.
Meanwhile, in Dark Souls 2, I started that game off thinking that it’s more of the same Dark Souls I loved. Then I started liking it a lot more. And now suddenly I’m liking it a lot less, thanks to The Iron Keep’s obnoxious enemy placement and The Shaded Woods’ generally easy but annoying bullshit. Really, “annoying” is the word that would most accurately describe DS2: Scholars of the First Sin’s mid-game. I’ve also come to the realization that the game is basically structured more like Demon’s Souls than Dark Souls, which I feel is a downgrade. I hope it gets better, I’ve heard some real good things about the DLC content. I’ll soldier on in lieu of actually reading VNs like I should be doing.
Also, yeah, I know AstralAir was updated again between the post being made and the post going live. Meh.
Today’s update took a long time because I had to fix all sorts of HTML errors. There are two mistakes in the Sekai Project section (two games show “New” when they shouldn’t), but that’s actually a tricksy hobbit database problem. Should be fixed next week.
I’ve gotten to know Kyle over at Unwonted Studios and he and his team have been working really hard on No One But You. I hope it’s good, and I hope it’s a success for them. Check out the game over on MG for more information and pre-orders (link).
Calling all artists! I’m looking to commission some art for the blog (a new header image for the commentary section, and as part of it a few little chibi characters for people who work on the blog). If you or any of your friends are talented and want to give this a shot, contact me! Otherwise I’ll track down some artists, myself. I can even pay you money. And you can buy anything in this world with money. *ominous stare into the camera*
(If you know what I’m referencing with that last bit, I feel for you, and I’m here if you need someone to talk to.)
I’m tired and I have no idea if Decay and/or Zaka will write commentary this week. Ah, well. I shall put this out into the void and hope for the best. Goodnight, world. See you later this week when I return with survey goodness.
This week’s header image is from No One But You, which comes out next Tuesday and is available for pre-order.