This post is mainly for people who are interested in tracking VN translation updates. We’ve got two new features rolling out which may interest you. They’re a little niche, but if you’re interested in keeping up on the TL projects, they’re right up your alley.
1. VN Translation Updates Aggregator
We’ve built a little tool called “VNTL-Moon“. It’s a feed aggregator, and it pulls updates from as many TL projects as we can find. We’ve got 53 on there as of the writing of this post, but I know we’ve missed some and we haven’t yet added any of the MangaGamer, JAST or Sekai VNs.
One other cool feature: I went in and customized the sidebar project links so they’ll point directly to a project’s updates/progress page. Hopefully this’ll make it even easier to track your favorite projects (Example of workflow: Go to http://moon.fuwanovel.net > Click on Project Name > Boom! You’re at the progress page. Updates!).
Recap: How you might use this tool:
- Visit it periodically to catch up on VN TL project updates
- Use it to quickly navigate (or get the link to) a specific project’s progress page (just click the name of the project)
- Look up old updates quickly
- It’ll help me do this ↓
2. Original, weekly VN TL update posts for the next 4 weeks (possibly longer)
As part of my interest in rebooting/overhauling the VNTLS concept, I wanted to know how much time and effort it would take to write weekly visual novel translation update posts similar to the VNTS posts on /jp/ which Zaka has been using for his own weekly recap. Thanks to the VNTL-Moon tool, I’m able to pump them out in ~half an hour. Thus: I plan on writing original VN TL updates every week for the next 4 weeks as an experiment, then possibly continuing on for forever. And ever.
Why I’m trying this and how it relates to the VNTLS concept: if the time and effort required to do this is manageable, we can create a standardized format for our updates and then create advanced scrapers to handle updates to a theoretical VN TL updates site.
In addition to the weekly posts, we’ve got a kinda crappily-designed but usable static page with the TL status of each project + useful links. We’ll update that each week, too.
Recap: How you might use these posts/the static page:
- Read them just like you read Zaka’s recaps
- If we end up doing this each week and standardize the format, we could make/collaborate on a scraper which would benefit everybody
- It may be used to automate a VN TL updates site in the future
I warned you that these tools are somewhat slanted towards the crowd who follow TL updates, but hopefully they’ll be useful to some. I’d love to get feedback from interested parties.