So far, I’ve focused exclusively on running these games in the VNDS App which is obtainable on the Google Play store. As has been noted, VNDS certainly has limitations (a recent bug in the converter made a few routes in the Never 7 game unplayable). Today is the day we break the VNDS streak, and I introduce you to an amazing way to play ANY VN from your Android and iOS devices.
Behold: Splashtop 2 (Google Play) (iTunes – iPad, iPhone) Splashtop 2 is a FREE app that streams your desktop computer’s video output to your iPad, Android tablet, or phone. So, what does that mean for VN gaming?
It means I played Rewrite on my iPad, and Fate/Stay Night on my Nexus 7 last night. And, by the way, the video was perfect, the audio didn’t lag, and I was a happy, happy man.
Working the App
You’re a smart person, so I wont beat you over the head with tutorials (if you do have specific questions, you’ll be able to get support on the developer’s website) . There are, however, a few things you’ll need to understand to make this program work:
- The App Itself. Android =Google Play / iOS= iPad, iPhone
- The Desktop Client. You’ll need to install the desktop client for your PC or Mac. (Link – See “Step 2 – Download Streamer” near the top of the page) Make sure to check around the desktop client’s settings to set things up as you like/they recommend. (I’m security-conscious, so I password-ed everything)
Limitations on Usage
- The app works for FREE when your tablet/phone/device and your PC desktop (or Mac) are on the same wireless network
- When you’re away from home, you CAN use 3G/4G/other wireless to access your PC, but you need to subscribe to a service (in-app purchase, recurring) to do so
- ***NOTE!*** In-Game, sometimes the clicking/double clicking doesn’t work on menus. This is an issue with the game programming. All you need to do is (1) Move your mouse over the menu item you want to choose, (2) Pull up the keyboard by pressing the keyboard button on the bottom-right of the screen (see my screenshot above), and (3) Press the enter or return key a couple of times. This will register with the game, and you’ll be able to start/load/save. Note: In the actual game itself, just tapping the game window will progress the story dialogue, just as you’d hope. Awesome!
If it’s working slowly for you, the problem is either your PC (see minimum specs), or your wireless router.
So! Isn’t that awesome? Yes, the VNDS (and other, future options I’ll write about soon) may be better for games-on-the-go since you need (1) a wifi/3G/4G/etc. data connection to stream your PC, and (2) a subscription if you want to stream away from home, but, at the same time, if you’re just relaxing at home and want to pull up a VN in bed, this is a great option for you.
Enjoy the games! (and get more on Fuwanovel.org!)
Tay is a big fan of Fuwanovel and Visual Novels in general. If you have any feedback/comments for him, you can always comment on a blog article, find him in the Fuwanovel forums, or catch him on twitter: @ArchmageTay